clanking noise

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i've had this noise for about 2 years now...early 90s buicks make this sound a lot, if that helps. its not a "clunk" or a "squeek" but a "clank"..very metal-on-metal...almost a "heavy" sound.

its in the front somewhere, and only makes sounds over bumps/potholes. normal driving its quiet. i can't tell if its left, right, center.

checked:
-cat heat shields (replaced hose clamp holding upper one due to rust...no change)
-sway bar endlinks and bushings. the bushings look like they have good wear left and the endlinks are tight. this was my first thought when the sound started.
-lower ball joints are fairly recent...uppers look fine
-exhaust is tight
-suspected a broken spring but the car rides/sits fine. neither look broken.

haven't checked but probably will:
-brake shields (but wouldn't they rattle more with side-to-side motions?)
-rear engine mount

what else could make noise under there? everything else looks fine :confused: i'm perplexed since i thought it was the sway bar moving but the bushings look ok. they're only $11 so should i just go through with it and replace those? my rears were toast and it was obvious.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
further research shows:

-possible torn boot on lower drivers side ball joint..its lost a decent amount of grease but its not making noise nor did it spit a ton of grease onto the rim. moog, replaced on 12-20-06 at 135,647 miles (at 152,370 now). as an aside, the lower passenger moog one only lasted 5 months/3k miles and was warrantied for another. maybe i should go OEM this time?
-no obvious signs of wear/rubbing/squishyness anywhere in the front end
-rack is tight
-rear mount looks ok but i dont have a lift.

now...that confuses me. since i've had 3 bad ball joints since i bought the car, the sound its making now is completely unlike the ball joints.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i should put it on the street and hope some drunk takes it out on his way home from the bar. i get a new ride, he goes to jail and preferably the hospital...2 birds with one stone :)

LX_F23A1

Reaction score
it can be bushings, also did you change your shocks?

I needz new supensionz setupz.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
my suspension is lord know how old :lawl:

i pried on every little bar/hanger/bushing i could find under the engine area...

Back