Consider this a very stern, and FINAL warning

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
I have updated the forum FAQ to try and cut down on confusion surrounding the reputation system. If you have any questions, please take a moment to read http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_reputation first before posting in this thread

It was brought to my attention that a lot of people were abusing the reputation system. You all know who you are, but the worst offenders were definitely:

-Juicebox00
-Litocg2rider
-Russianred
-Younglemon
-Mr. humpy
-smoky

Why does this piss me off so much? Simply put, the rep system is supposed to recognize people who are helpful and friendly. It's not for saying "cool car" or "here bish lolz" or anything else retarded. Giving rep just because someone gave you rep is also stupid. There's nothing wrong with saying "thanks", but no one should become one of the highest repped people on the site just for being rep happy and getting it in return without actually contributing anything.

We can view all reputation messages, all posts that were referenced in the rep, who's given you rep for whatever timeframe we want to look at, and who you've given rep to.

Because a few people decided to trade rep back and forth, and completely jack their rep up so high, I had to go through all the rep deleting the bull**** ones, and then deleting rep comments you had left for other people because your rep was so inflated by then. It's annoying as hell to cross check so many people's reputation comments.

Reputation that abusers received that they actually deserved (like rep that Juicebox received for his DIY) wasn't deleted. Things like that are exactly what you should rep for. Unfortunately rep that you probably deserved, but received from other abusers, was deleted. Getting 450 rep points from someone who only should have had ~40 to give, because you helped jack their rep up, you don't get to keep.

I'm going to be adding a new infraction here in a few minutes for abusing the reputation system. Get one, and it's going to stay there for AT LEAST 1 month, I haven't decided how long yet. Get another one and you get a temp ban and your rep reset to zero.

A lot of you guys have contributed a lot to the site, and there are a lot of cases where you absolutely deserve to get rep. That doesn't excuse abusing the system though

No one's getting in trouble for what's been done up to this point, but I WILL be paying attention from here on out as to how the reputation system is being used. From now on, there are no excuses, and no warnings.

And yes, some reputation left by/for moderators was also deleted if anyone thinks I'm just picking on one group of people.

Last edited:

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
pshh. neg rep for you. :redface2:

No, but seriously. It's a shame ppl can't just use the system for its intent. Because it WOULD help new members at least get a feel for who's who until they can evaluate things for themselves and know who's legit/dedicated thru experience. Just as important is giving neg. rep to ppl who are acting detrimentally to the forum. It's a good way to let them know to cut the sh*t without a mod having to do it. It's like peer evaluations.

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
Wow... didn't even know this was going on... shame on you guys, it's just a number on a site.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Yeah Cody, I tried to tell them this a few weeks ago, and all I got was flack.

Maybe you'll have more luck.

Millz

Reaction score
i know ive given rep to a couple guys for photoshoots (cause i liked the cars/quality of pictures/time put into the photoshoot)

:S just wonderin if that's okay lol :run:

turboputz

Reaction score
IMHO rep is a total waste of time. Because of this kind of activity you're talking about most forums just do away with it entirely. There just isn't a critical mass of people who can use is it judicisously and appropriately so it becomes meaningless. It becomes like an absurd high school popularity contest. I would submit that you consider removing the feature from the site before you waste any more time on it. I find it very easy to discern the jokers from the actual tuners simply by the content of their threads and posts. Yes we all want to protect noobs from bad advice, but that's why you weigh in on a thread that has a question. If you're not sure about what someone is advising you get a second oppinion.

Either get rid of it or just have it awarded by the administrators. Yes it is a community. But ultimately you have a vision for how the community should be run. I have never seen this, but i would appreciate it - Come up with 5 basic areas of expertise that people on this site care about. For example: Mechanical, Tuning, Body Work, A/V & Interior, and Photography. Then when it is obvious that someone really knows what's up and has skills and hands on experience in one of these areas give them a big gold star and a special handle. That's it. Not multiple stars. No points for theoritical knowledge. No points for friends or to say thank you. If a member appreicates a well done mechanical DIY they submit a nomination to the mods. If we have someone that actually works in a shop or a honda tech they get nominated. Just an idea for your consideration.

finch13

Reaction score
I like the rep system, it's like a personal thank you note from a clueless beginner or from a vet. It lets you know your are contributing and helping move this community in a positive direction. Even the vBExperience rep that gets added is beneficial, although sometimes unfair because some members whore to the extreme and get rep for it. I don't know who or how people abused it, but the rep I have received I have really appreciated.

Here's my rep, notice how only one is for something in the off topic category:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I wasn't told what was going on with this by any mod/admin. No pm from anyone. Actually this is the first time I've seen my name mentioned in this. I also cannot control if people decided to rep me. Let's cool down the rep. As long as this is just, I am satisfied because it seems to be a serious deal.

Last edited:
Back