Dash Tweeter question?

Jh8909

Reaction score
the speakers on the floor would bug the hell out of me

its called kicks or "kick panels" if you will. and I feel you, i would literally be kicking them if i put the clutch in. He has the luxury of an automatic so he can rest his foot elsewhere and not have to worry about the clutch.

nice set up Accord2show except I'm doing a purely based sq setup with amp(s) you may have never even heard of.

although that black steering wheel and black floor mat combination looks nice!

imaricer:)

Reaction score
its called kicks or "kick panels" if you will. and I feel you, i would literally be kicking them if i put the clutch in. He has the luxury of an automatic so he can rest his foot elsewhere and not have to worry about the clutch.

nice set up Accord2show except I'm doing a purely based sq setup with amp(s) you may have never even heard of.

although that black steering wheel and black floor mat combination looks nice!

i use the foot rest that comes in the auto thats why i would hate it, also would have to worry about passengers effin the speaker up. bet it sounds good tho.

off topic but :
who here crosses their legs indian style when they are in cruise control? so comfy :lawl:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
watchu got? i'm a bit of an amp whore :lawl:

as for the 3 way in the door...i would be afraid of a narrow stage with regards to the midrange and tweeter path length differences (L to R), since they're sooooo close to your head on the drivers side. because the passenger side is more on-axis, you'll probably have the image pulled to the right door. but thats easy enough to play with just by using 6.5s in the doors without tweeters and without a lowpass on them.

with such a small midrange, the a-pillars would be the place. a 3-4" up there is just too big for my tastes.

Jh8909

Reaction score
watchu got? i'm a bit of an amp whore :lawl:

as for the 3 way in the door...i would be afraid of a narrow stage with regards to the midrange and tweeter path length differences (L to R), since they're sooooo close to your head on the drivers side. because the passenger side is more on-axis, you'll probably have the image pulled to the right door. but thats easy enough to play with just by using 6.5s in the doors without tweeters and without a lowpass on them.

with such a small midrange, the a-pillars would be the place. a 3-4" up there is just too big for my tastes.

what I got? is a secret. :) it will come out when the build log is open.

and its gonna be a 3-way active front stage. Meaning I wont be using the passive crossovers that come with the comp set. And yes I was worried and still am worried about how narrow its going to be HOWEVER I have time alignment on my head unit and I can work with the crossover points till its right. And if the sail panels don't work then a pillars would be the next best option.

I also am going to have the fun time of tuning all night and day with my ppi 31 band eq. tuning is gonna be a *****!

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
man i wish i had the PPI DCX (whatever the numbers are...730?)...only 13 bands here :sad: 50-12.5k isn't cutting it anymore.

a quick tip if you have separate L-R controls...drivers side, steeper slopes and underlap XO points :) i've also become a fan of odd-order slopes in the car...one less phase issue.

edit: heres a graph that should be a ballpark starting point. when you get it all installed, we can talk about the magical 2kHz impact and 5kHz cut for image stability :lawl:

picture.php

Last edited:

Jh8909

Reaction score
yeah my eq curve will be more flatter than the graph above. firstly because I want to hear what needs improvement.

also under lapping XO points is an interesting Idea, never considered that before. how close on your 13 band eq do you under lap at? and at what slope? like 12db? or 6db?

and the eq is the deq-230. mine has a custom "brushed aluminum" look to it. that will fit in with everything were doing in the trunk. (thats a secret as well :))

deq1.jpg

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
the PPI purists would crucify you for removing the original finish :lawl: but i loveeee polished/brushed stuff.

i only have a 2-way up front and with the advent of amazing extended range drivers...i dont see a need for a 3-way. but i have 18dB slopes on everything, and from midbass to tweeter the mid is lowpassed at 2kHz and the tweeter is highpassed at 2.5kHz. there was a wicked spike at 2k which -6dB of eq couldn't fix when i had the mids running up to 3.15k and the tweeters at the same 3.15k.

so my (educated? :lawl:) guess was a harmonic somewhere north of 3kHz causing the spike. the frequency response graph showed them to be usable to 4k, though i didn't have a distortion plot to compare it with.

it was unfixable and unlistenable (and i'm just going to go ahead and make up my own adverbs :lawl:). good thing the tweeters could go a little lower and i'm active...

Jh8909

Reaction score
yeah well I didn't origionally strip the paint off so I'm in the clear!

and I am a PPI "fan" if you will. had at least 1 of every series of the pre-dei to dei era.
sure loved me some art series :)

and you would see a need for 3-way if you've ever sat in a sq demo car that scored above a 90 more than once at competitions. :thumbup:

this car is going to be our demo car, but also my daily so everything is going to be done right.

and I have no idea about that spike in your sound. did you measure it through a computer or did you just hear it? sounds like you need more processing, but if you like what you have and it works, KEEP IT.

and you said you were active, how? amp or headunit? if so what headunit?

Back