DIY cold air intake, CAI (PICS & Video!)

xluben

Reaction score
thejameshimself said:
just hit 100k and stumbled across this thread while changing out my air filter. here's my finished box:

intake1.jpg

my two cents:
1) i had no idea how giant the resonator was
2) removing the pins underneath the bumper can be a pain if you've bottomed out several times and scratched them beyond function
3) my garage gremlin loves to hide bumper screws
3) intake sounds good - glad i didn't spend money on a SRI
looks great! that's how it should be done!

1) yeah, and don't try washing it by filling it with water, you'll never get it all out :(
2) yep, i think i broke most of them
3) i think i just have to two top screws, two side screw and maybe a couple pins underneath :D
4) i think this mod sounds BETTER than my CAI did! i like it about as much as the SRI, but the SRI is a tad louder.

HomerJay

Reaction score
I think I'm going to go this route. I have an Ingen intake and absolutely HATE it!! It's too loud for my tastes. If it added 50hp, then the noise would be acceptable but since it only serves to suck away my low end torque, the sound is not appropriate. I feel as if I can't move until I'm over 4,000rpm...a Yugo could beat me to 35 now (or so it seems)...:mad:

I've read that this intake mod will result in better air flow without such a negative effect on the low end. Is that pretty much everyone's experience?

xluben

Reaction score
yeah, i threw on an ebay intake and it's definitely louder now. i also feel that i
lost a little low end compared to the DIY method, but the top end seems better
(too bad i never rev that high).

i really like this mod, and someday i may go back to it. IMO, perfect sound (not
very loud at all, but sounds a bit meaner than stock) and a very smooth even
feeling powerband.

Messingerzt

Reaction score
Did this mod today!
was alot of fun, my first mod ever!
thanks so much for it, my car purrs now!
my only question is, is there an easy way to get those plastic things off the bumper!? there such a pain!

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
thx for the info, this is my second mod and i must say it was fun and simple. now my baby raors like a baby lion. woo!!! =]

Back