DIY Headlight CCFL/LED Strip Install

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
I left my camera at work so no pic's sorry.

But I'm going to take you step by step as I do this.

Before doing this I picked up two 2.8oz tubes of automotive silicone sealant, and a roll of double sided tape. You'll also need a flat head screwdriver to pry the headlight lens from the housing.

1) Preheat Oven to 250*

2) Put headlight in oven for approx 8 min to soften sealant around headlight.

3) Pry headlight apart using flat head screwdriver

4) Now, once the headlight is apart, set aside the housing and turn the lens so your looking at the back of it. Down where the amber strip is there is a reflector that is held on by two screws. Remove the screws and reflector.

5) Now you will notice on both sides where the reflector was there are two square shaped tabs on each side. It looks like the CCFL would fit in there perfect, but you can slide them in because the tube are a bit too long. Take a knife and cut the top of the tab closest to the blinker off. This will allow you to slide the tube in there for a snug fit.

6) Once the tube is installed, thread the CCFL wire through the hole in the reflector and screw the reflector back in.

7) At this point I recommend that you think of any other things that you would like to do to your headlights while you have them apart.

In my case, the headlight aiming screws were ****ed up, so I'm going to fix them.

8) Put your headlights together, thread the wire for the CCFL through the bulb socket and stick them back in the oven.

9) Take them out of the oven and press them back together and put a bead of silicone around the seam.

10) Cut the sheath back on the wires for the bulb that goes in the amber strip (1 Black Wire -, 1 Red Wire +) and wire up your transformers according to color.

11) Plug the wires for the CCFL into the transformer and turn your parking lights on to test.

12) Provided everything is working, put your front end back together.

Last edited:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
no pics!!!! :boo:

i guess we wont be seeing any "slammed" pics this weekend either, huh? hahaha

i cant wait for the pics tho

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Gonna snap some tonight, I lowered her as much as I could and still get out of my driveway........

BPAccord

*DAIGAKUSOTSU*
Reaction score
man...i thought u were gonna have pics of the install process...its all good..i think i can manage with this....doesnt take a ROCKET scientist to figure it out....:henry:

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
^^ Choi, LOL. Trying to start some drama again?? jk.

No pics = ban, Justin. :bash:

But good write-up. Sounds like it went pretty easily for you. I'm trying to think of how to mount the flexible LED strip to that parking light area. I think I need some kind of clear plastic strip to attach the LEDs to and then attach that plastic strip to the housing.

Any ideas?

Back