DIY Paint Job on the Cheap! *UPDATED 3/3*

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: DIY Color Change Paint Job/Repaint on the Cheap!

wax generally last anywhere from 6 weeks to a couple months only depending on brand. Spray some water on it to check the beading.

9450erick

Reaction score

when i did my valve cover i treated it just like i was painting a car
i primered it, two thick coats of color, and 3 coats of clear
its chipping like crazy already. it looked so good @ first but it started chipping.
what is the cause of this chipping?

SneakyPete

Reaction score

is that just duplicolor paint? or the actual "color match" paint they sell?
wish they sold the color for my girls civic so i can respray her bumper for like 20$..hahaha

^^look into carquest. mine DEP, and all I had to do was give them the code and they mixed up 2 cans of rattle can DEP that matched perfectly. And it was only $12 a can!!!

However, I think the rattle can job looks good. I did the same on my sport bike with bass boat size chrome metal flake and it came out perfect.....actually won 3 bike shows with it!

Kudos!

JEER42

Reaction score

its chipping like crazy already. it looked so good @ first but it started chipping.

What type of primer did you use? If you stripped the valve cover, you cannot use regular primer on bare metal. You will need a self etching primer, or a primer that can be used on aluminum. After your bare metal primer, you use your regular primer, base, then clear.

djmerkone

Reaction score

Hopefully that valve cover was completely clean and free of stripper/dust, ect... And as ^ said, you need to make sure u used the correct type of etching primer. Also, you need high temp paint too. Not trying to say

Accord_J30A

Reaction score

Not bad at all. Keep us update with the pictures

9450erick

Reaction score

What type of primer did you use? If you stripped the valve cover, you cannot use regular primer on bare metal. You will need a self etching primer, or a primer that can be used on aluminum. After your bare metal primer, you use your regular primer, base, then clear.

Hopefully that valve cover was completely clean and free of stripper/dust, ect... And as ^ said, you need to make sure u used the correct type of etching primer. Also, you need high temp paint too. Not trying to say

i also sanded it down to bare metal
i used high temp primer
the primer is still intact no bare metal showing just the color and the clear have chipped away, so now you can see the primer
and i used high temp color and high temp clear, i made sure that it could be used on valve covers

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
DIY Color Change Paint Job/Repaint on the Cheap!

It looks great for a rattle can job, but dont u think with all the time money and effort that its better to rent or borrow a compressor and paint gun?

I just dont see paint out of a can lasting for more than 1 year before it starts chipping off. Thats just my skepticism.

djmerkone

Reaction score

Not bad at all. Keep us update with the pictures

Thanks... I sure will :thumbup:

i used high temp primer
the primer is still intact no bare metal showing just the color and the clear have chipped away, so now you can see the primer
and i used high temp color and high temp clear, i made sure that it could be used on valve covers

Well it seems that you did everything right, or at least used the right stuff. Theres no way to tell for sure. It could simply be a bad batch of rattle cans that you got. It happens sometimes. I'd just start over... at least you have the primer on there still.

It looks great for a rattle can job, but dont u think with all the time money and effort that its better to rent or borrow a compressor and paint gun?

I just dont see paint out of a can lasting for more than 1 year before it starts chipping off. Thats just my skepticism.

Its really not that much compared to the rental price at the rate im doing this. I dont want to pay to rent the equip every week. That doesnt make sense to do at this time. And no, the paint wont chip, as long as it was properly surface prepped.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
DIY Color Change Paint Job/Repaint on the Cheap!

djmerkone said:
Thanks... I sure will :thumbup:

i used high temp primer
the primer is still intact no bare metal showing just the color and the clear have chip

Well it seems that you did everything right, or at least used the right stuff. Theres no way to tell for sure. It could simply be a bad batch of rattle cans that you got. It happens sometimes. I'd just start over... at least you have the primer on there still.

Its really not that much compared to the rental price at the rate im doing this. I dont want to pay to rent the equip every week. That doesnt make sense to do at this time. And no, the paint wont chip, as long as it was properly surface prepped.
So are you advocating this to be a replacement for the gun and compressor?

Back