DIY Throttle Body Bypass

jwong512

Reaction score
If it gets hot, coolant becomes hotter too. Try opening your engine bay and checking the temperature of your car after driving for a long period of time or during the summer. There is a lot of engine heat and that heat is transferred to the coolant. If that coolant is transferred to the TB, then the TB is the same temperature as the motor. However, if coolant isn't running through it, the outside air it is sucking in will cool down the TB and therefore allow cooler air to pass through.

intel0116

Reaction score
yeah that makes sense, i brought that up because i was thinking that after it goes through the radiator that it would be cooler, but i didnt take in to account that the normal operating temp of an engine is 190 to 220 degrees. opsy, my bad .... lol

intel0116

Reaction score
wait just thought of something else lol, ok so we agree that it would infact make the TB cooler, i think that is undisputed now, but now i have another question, by allowing the coolent to go through the TB, dosent it help cool the the coolent because the cooler outside air is passing through it making it cooler and in turn making your engine cooler?

001Stunna

Reaction score
wait just thought of something else lol, ok so we agree that it would infact make the TB cooler, i think that is undisputed now, but now i have another question, by allowing the coolent to go through the TB, dosent it help cool the the coolent because the cooler outside air is passing through it making it cooler and in turn making your engine cooler?

I highly doubt it making an effect as its such a small area.

Johnson

Reaction score
maybe the OP should clear that up..i wasted $ on buying the wrong stuff..and made 2 trips almost 3 to oriellys.to get this mod correct with no leaks.

so for 4cyl- Needs 5/16 brass splice
along with 5/16 vac. caps
the clamps mentioned above worked.

Sorry, I updated the op. Thanks

jwong512

Reaction score

You would be better off running the bypass because colder air will enter your car and therefore not allow your motor to generate as much heat as it did before the bypass. Plus, the radiator is built as an insulator to absorb heat, the TB is not built as an insulator.

intel0116

Reaction score
ok im sold..... im gona try it out on my ride, 2 quick install questions tho, are the pics in this thread for the J30a1 bypass ? and would it have the same effect if i simply just removed all the hoses and put caps on the radiator too ? or does it need the hoses to evenly distribute the coolant ?a

imaricer:)

Reaction score
If it gets hot, coolant becomes hotter too. Try opening your engine bay and checking the temperature of your car after driving for a long period of time or during the summer. There is a lot of engine heat and that heat is transferred to the coolant. If that coolant is transferred to the TB, then the TB is the same temperature as the motor. However, if coolant isn't running through it, the outside air it is sucking in will cool down the TB and therefore allow cooler air to pass through.

should help the TB stay clean too...

intel0116

Reaction score
i need help guys, so after a good conversation with everyone i decided to do this mod, well i ran in to a problem........ the splice is to small and now i have a leak, i used a 1/4" splice, and the other parts listed on the first page of this thread, the vacuum caps were too small i managed to fit one on but the other i could not, and the splice was loose when i put it in the hose it just droped right in i dident have to push it down at all, so i know its not the right size, can anyone help me out and give me the correct sizes for all these parts for a 2001 ex v6 ??????

Geewiz

Reaction score
i need help guys, so after a good conversation with everyone i decided to do this mod, well i ran in to a problem........ the splice is to small and now i have a leak, i used a 1/4" splice, and the other parts listed on the first page of this thread, the vacuum caps were too small i managed to fit one on but the other i could not, and the splice was loose when i put it in the hose it just droped right in i dident have to push it down at all, so i know its not the right size, can anyone help me out and give me the correct sizes for all these parts for a 2001 ex v6 ??????

4 banger? If so read back, OP did this for a V6. Hose widths and sizing is different for some of the parts. It's discussed in the preceeding pages the differences.

Back