DIY Throttle Body Bypass

intel0116

Reaction score
4 banger? If so read back, OP did this for a V6. Hose widths and sizing is different for some of the parts. It's discussed in the preceeding pages the differences.

no i have the j30a1 v6..... and aparently the 1/4" is for the j30..... it says under the picture of the parts "4cyl- Needs 5/16 brass splice
along with 5/16 vac. caps" ....... so im woundering what the correct size is my my model year of the j30 because the 01 and 02 have diffrent spark plug set ups then the 98-00, dont they ??? and im in a 01......

juicebox00

Reaction score
no i have the j30a1 v6..... and aparently the 1/4" is for the j30..... it says under the picture of the parts "4cyl- Needs 5/16 brass splice
along with 5/16 vac. caps" ....... so im woundering what the correct size is my my model year of the j30 because the 01 and 02 have diffrent spark plug set ups then the 98-00, dont they ??? and im in a 01......

98-99 are different than 00-02. the OP has an 02 so yours would be the same. i think it's your clamps for the hose

intel0116

Reaction score
juiceboxx !!! hey man.... yeah dude that was actually it, i have big hands so i couldent get them to tighten up enough, so i had to remove the hose's and tighten them up really tight out side of the car then reinstalled them and it worked like a charm.... the original instructions of this thread are for the v6, im just a retard and dident tighten it correct the first time lol. trial of error my friends.....

Last edited:

Johnson

Reaction score
the splice is to small and now i have a leak, i used a 1/4" splice, and the other parts listed on the first page of this thread, the vacuum caps were too small i managed to fit one on but the other i could not, and the splice was loose when i put it in the hose it just droped right in i dident have to push it down at all, so i know its not the right size, can anyone help me out and give me the correct sizes for all these parts for a 2001 ex v6 ??????

For the splice you will need to use the hose clamps to prevent leaks. The vacuum caps come a bit small so what I did to make them fit easier was to use a pair of needle nose pliers and twisted it a couple times to make it fit easier.

redlinevtec

Reaction score
This was cake on the 4 cylinder. And let me tell you omg cheap best mod ever! I ended up using a different brass splice then the specified brand listed on page one. But it's very simple, you just reroute the two hoses together. Loving it. Rep 4 u.

intel0116

Reaction score
yeah good write up and mod johnson, i had my doubts at first, but i went ahead and did it, and it really is a good cheep easy mod, i dont know about the 5 or 6 hp gain that some people are claming, but for shure i get better TB responce.

4NDR3W_6THG3N

Reaction score
Just did this last night. easiest mod ever. And cheapest. Before I did it, I drove the car around and the TB was hot to the touch. After it, I drove it around the next day and it was cold to the touch! (I also installed 3" Ram Air Duct hose).

Fuzz

Reaction score
WELL... I will add some technical data to this thread for you guys.

The reason that the throttle body has a coolant passage for it, has NOTHING to do with the throttle plate sticking, it has everything to do with fuel atomization.

I think that everyone here knows that 'Cold Air' helps the engine generate more power right? Well one thing they don't always know, is the cooler air, also makes it HARDER for the fuel to atomize, and therefore... be burned.

The coolant passages are designed to keep the throttle body warm in the winter time, and to warm up the air going into the engine. This helps the fuel atomize, and therefore the car runs better.

My winter beater died 2 days ago. Its been some-what warm outside, but I do know this. As soon as the temperate gets cold out... my car runs like a ***** because of this.

redlinevtec

Reaction score
WELL... I will add some technical data to this thread for you guys.

The reason that the throttle body has a coolant passage for it, has NOTHING to do with the throttle plate sticking, it has everything to do with fuel atomization.

I think that everyone here knows that 'Cold Air' helps the engine generate more power right? Well one thing they don't always know, is the cooler air, also makes it HARDER for the fuel to atomize, and therefore... be burned.

The coolant passages are designed to keep the throttle body warm in the winter time, and to warm up the air going into the engine. This helps the fuel atomize, and therefore the car runs better.

My winter beater died 2 days ago. Its been some-what warm outside, but I do know this. As soon as the temperate gets cold out... my car runs like a ***** because of this.

You know...ever since I did this my gas mileage sucks balls. It's still somewhat chilly outside here in SoCal. Maybe it's all in my head though...Sometimes I have powa! Sometimes I don't. I think I'm going back to the way it was.

Back