Do work son

nyknick1015

Reaction score
So im finally gonna go all out on my car this summer but i dont know where to start. I took my car to the local body shop today to get a quote... the people quoted me $3300 to get my front and rear bumpers repainted as well as some touch up on the rear quarter panels...

UMM... NO.... i got my old car repainted at maaco for 1500 top to bottom, DID EVERYTHING and a damn good job too. But it was a different city... the local maaco around here has a bad rep so i am avoiding them

How much do most people pay for this kind of job?

ALSO my bumper has a few cracks in it here and there as well as spider webs in the paint. I want to prep it before i send it out to get painted. Any techniques that people recommend?

Last edited:

shavedaccord

Reaction score
For bumpers to be re-shot and some touch ups? how bad are the touch ups? chips, dents?

Mr.Hollow

Reaction score
actually 1500 is decent price pending you do the prep work yourself cuz most likely they would just spray over the factory paint. A one day paint place is all you need just make sure to call them out on any paint drips (and yeah probably drips) and make them fix it before you sign off on it.

if its just bumpers i would figure 700ish

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
3300 seems a little steep. The expensive shop here wanted like 300/bumper with blending.

juicebox00

Reaction score
when we prep'd big ant's car. we used 80grit sand paper, then 220 grit, and then 400 grit. hosing it down/ letting it dry before sanding again each time. and then gave it 2 coats of primer

nyknick1015

Reaction score
im gonna see if i can get close up pictures but alot of it is rocks from the highway and scraping from my lip. Other than that, There is 2 cracks on my front bumper... a sideswipe on my rear right quarter panel and knicks from people that drive like morons in the city...

if you seen recent pics of my car, ALOT if it is unnoticable

shavedaccord

Reaction score
^^ You guys didn't use a finer paper to take out any left over marks? That would surprise the hell out of me if no marks were visible after the primer shrinkage

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
there are so many factors that play into these quotes...you need to either do your own prep work and go the cheap route....or pick a mid range quote and bite the bullet...

you get what you pay for...and either the high end shops are doing stuff that you don't value or you don't realize the amount of work involved....just make sure you know what you want and find a shop that will do just that...and do it well...

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
$3300 will get you a halfway decent full body paintjob. Who in their right mind would quote that for bumper covers. :boo:

Several members have repainted their cars recently, learning what they spent may assist your decision. Going with the same color?

nyknick1015

Reaction score
High Res pics of what i need done

Side swipe on the quarter panel
4495278018_2b7d13ab9d_b.jpg

those 2 cracks on left and right plus when you get closer, there are pebbles from rocks on the highway... Plus the front lip
4494638473_4ff36e490f_b.jpg

small knicks on the rear bumper from people in the city that dont know how to drive
4494638363_74f8034666_b.jpg

everything else on the body is clean... its only my bumpers that take a beating... i do need advice for the front bumper on how do i get those 2 cracks out when i prep the bumper... the rear seems pretty simple... bondo should do it well

this is what they want 3300 for.... the guy told me they are gonna have to blend around it going into the front fenders for the bumper and the doors for the quarter panel

Last edited:
Back