Dyno'ing *Photos/Video added* 7.26.12

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
A guy I work with who drives a built 1-Series recently asked me if I would be interested in doing a dyno session with him and a few of his friends. I’ve always wanted to see what kind of power my car puts to the wheels after the swap, so I’m inclined to do it. But I am not sure what all is involved. He told me I need to know what my 1:1 gear is, which I don’t quite understand. He said his is 4th gear if that means anything. And it sounds like at this particular place, one of their staff does the pull, but you tell them what you want them to do. I just want them to do whatever will get me the most accurate results. And I always hear horror stories of people’s motors blowing on dyno runs. What makes that happen? Is that more applicable to a tuned car? My car is just NA.

So I guess I’m looking for input and advice from those who have done it before, and what the best way to go about it is. This is new to me, thanks.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Alright I just got the video back, still waiting on some photos but figured I'd go ahead and post it.

I did not know what to expect with an untuned car, I really went into this only being interested in what the motor is putting to the wheels as it is. I only did two runs because the graphs were nearly the same and they said it was pretty consistent, so I didn't put the car under the stress. I LOVED finally hearing what the car sounds like...it is F'ing amazing and I was giddy as a schoolboy (i'm the guy that gets on his knees in the background lol). And I still have headers to put on.

This Marauder was pulling out when we got there, 450 hp to the wheels.

2012-07-20_10-01-44_961.jpg

Our group

2012-07-20_10-01-14_246.jpg

2012-07-20_10-01-20_73.jpg

Video my co-worker made, dyno clip was with a GoPro. Only engine mods are CAI, Magnaflow catback, and Innovative motor mounts. Turn them shits up, and enjoy. :)

EDIT: The guys I went with, who have been to this dyno several times, say that it typically runs low by about 10-20. So maybe I will try taking the car to another dyno to see how it does there...there are so many factors that play into it.

Last edited:

LeAccord

Reaction score
Re: Dyno'ing for dummies

Hmm i would also like to know too, but i think the 1:1 gear relates to the gear in which it gives the least resistance of drive so that it will allow the maximum amount of horsepower to be delivered and used.. if you get what i mean.. I haven't fully understood it yet so hopefully someone else with more knowledge about dyno'ing will chime in.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Dyno'ing for dummies

He's referring to your gear when it is 1:1, wheel speed and tranny speed, because you need to go up to that on a dyno. Basically what it measures.

On say like my 4cyl auto, I'm assuming 1:1 is 4th, and overdrive is a higher ratio, to get to the higher speeds.

Never dyno'ed before, basically making a slightly educated guess and hoping I'm right. But im pretty sure I am.

Edit: your 1:1 is probably 5th and your 6th is probably an overdrive gear.

99CcordMTF23

Reaction score

1:1 gear is where the the most accurate torque reading can be measured, it's basically a direct drive at the 1:1, everything moving at the same speed inside the trans (besides final drive) therefore you will be testing your engines torque accurately, a reduced gear ratio would magnify the torque curve (2:1) and an overdrive would make it seem weaker (0.75:1). I know I explained it like sh!t, but it all pretanes to the speed of the main shaft and counter shaft in the trans relative to engine rpm and final drive ratio (the last part in the trans equation). I probably just made it worse.

Reactions: Bax

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Dyno'ing for dummies

You explained it better than I could haha couldn't really even put mine into real words.

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score

You want to have the closest to 1:1, without it being an overdrive gear (less than 1:1).

2008 Accord Coupe 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Gear Ratios: 1st: 3.933, 2nd: 2.478, 3rd: 1.700, 4th: 1.250, 5th: 0.976, 6th: 0.771, Reverse: 4.008, Final Drive: 3.550

Looks like you should run it in 4th, even though it's not all that close to being 1:1, it's the best you can do.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Dyno'ing for dummies

I would have said 5th. Is it always best to be a little over rather than under?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Hmm the gear aspect of this is making more sense now, I think.

Thanks for the example Kevin. Except mine is from a 2006 Accord 6MT, so I would need to find the gear ratios for that. Guessing they haven't changed much, but I want to make sure I do this right.

@Clean, 5th in the 8GA example is less than 1. So 4th is the gear that is a little over. If I'm understanding this correctly.

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score

Chris looks like the only difference is the final drive is 3.29 rather than 3.55

06-6spdspecs.png

Last edited:

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score

@Clean, 5th in the 8GA example is less than 1. So 4th is the gear that is a little over. If I'm understanding this correctly.

Yes. And im guessing over is better because under and you start to lose torque and it won't be repressented on the dyno correctly.

Back