Dyno'ing *Photos/Video added* 7.26.12

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
Re: Dyno'ing for dummies

Everyone has their own opinions on different dynamometer's. In my opinion this is my opinion on the three most common dynamometer's used today.

Mustang Dyno: They are probably the most accurate out of all the dynamometer's in the market. They are very consistent and they also create simulated load/brake for realistic driving conditions.

Dynapack: They also can create simulated load/brake to simulate realistic street driving conditions. A plus is that unlike "roller dyno's", there is no tire spin/slippage.

Dynojet: They are the most "number" friendly dynamometer out there. If you just want to see higher numbers go and don't care about accurate readings go with Dynojet.

All in all a dynamometer is just a tool. As long as you know how to use it, it doesn't really matter which one you use. Just be sure to use the same dynamometer as each one will vary it's own numbers. IMO as far as tuning goes the best tune is a street tune.

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
No problem guys, my brother and I use to go to ALMS at Mid-Ohio every year. I miss the days when it was Viper GTS-R vs. C5-R vs. Saleen S7-R. Those were some great races, and the Vipers would clean up. Then the Vettes just took over and Saleen dropped out, and Dodge did too. Then Ferrari F430's and Lambo Murcielago's stepped in and made it interesting again. I miss the Viper GTS though...can't wait to see it back again.

Wow I wish I could've seen the vipers and saleens race, those are classics. But the 430s and c6r's sure don't disappoint.

Nope I'm staying at a hotel just north of columbus, but who knows, I might see you around!

The 2013 SRT Viper GTS-R is making it's ALMS debut at Mid Ohio this year :rock:. I'm pumped to see it.

G'sAccord01

Reaction score
.... My numbers where low too ... :mad: I'm not satisfied. I actually did worse then you. According to the tuner my cat is clogged so he told me to redo my cheap *** exhaust with 3" straight pipe no cat and bring it back and he said he will get me atleast 20-30 hp more. My **** didn't even hit the 200 mark .... nd hp nd tq where neck and neck too. This made me want to scrap the 6thgen and move onto something else. Def disappointed in the turn out

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^I feel your pain. All the cars I was with made more than 300 hp (except for the s2k which I beat by a big margin lol), so I was a bit jealous of some of the others. Here's the thing though, you can't base too much off of one visit to a dyno. There are so many factors like the weather, the type of dyno, etc that come into play. And there are always things you can check on the car to make sure they're not robbing you of power (fuel pump, injectors, etc). And a tune will go a looong way for you if you're that serious about it. I'm just not. The car feels fast as hell to me, and that's good enough for me.

But like I said, you need to go more than once, the first time you go gives you a baseline to compare with future runs. Here is what the guy I went with told me, who knows his stuff and goes to this dyno all the time.

For the dyno there are many things that play a factor. Temp, operator, calibration, and a host of car related things can play a factor in how the car runs. I personally think this dyno reads about 10-20 on the low side (or others read higher). So what I am saying here is that every dyno reads differently and even those read differently on different days. What you have now is a base number that you can run against and see what improvements your headers and other mods really make.

How many miles on your J32, and what year TL/CL is it out of? Was it a clean motor?

Last edited:

G'sAccord01

Reaction score
Naa I cleaned the tb alittle and egr port but that was about it. It has 103 miles on it from a 01 TLs. The tranny is from a 06 accord with around the same amount of miles but I have a new clutch+pressure plate (old flywheel). The dyno used was also a dynojet . I've read a lot that dyno numbers are never accurate their just something to look at.

PS my car broke down on me yesterday. I would turn it on and it would turn right back off. I was told it could be that the cat is causing this issue since I drove it for along period of time it expands and makes the problem bigger. Not replacing my whole exhaust today just deleting the cat to see if thats really the issue.

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
damn that sounds good. but i was expecting more than 200hp/tq at the wheels, but i guess 220 isnt horrible, but still expected more

Back