engine bay cleaning wrong

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
no, I don't spray my engine bay, because my car isn't from the 1940s to warrant that level of uncleanliness maintenance

extreme what? :thinking:

you mean like...not blasting your bay with water and instead taking the time to use hand operated cleaning tools where you have to scrub stuff off even if it takes more time, but doesn't risk the danger of any number of bad things happening from literally spraying gallons of water into your engine?

todd_cards

Reaction score
You could have just used a scrub brush and Purple Power....

i guess next time if there is one :lolhitting: then ill be sure to use that!

If you sprayed the fuse box, alternator, distributor etc, or sprayed it down with high pressure not just a slow/waterfall-like rinse...you need a smack. Most times when you wash your engine bay it's wise to just be safe and cover things(air intake inlet, fusebox, distirbutor, alternator, battery terminals...) and later on just clean them with a damp rag/brush. I'd also not wash a full hot engine and wait till it cools a bit unless you're using hot water too.

As for what could've happened...well your check engine light is on right? why don't you go get it read/checked/scanned rather then us taking wild guesses. Most likely a misfire i'd guess or a sensor shorted due to water joining terminals together etc or who knows...

thanks for the info

soccerchamp16

Reaction score
Theres a sensor somewhere (I forget where and the name of it) but if you get it wet enough your check engine light will come on and your car will stall if you go above like 3000RPM or a little below 3000RPM. Just drive it slowly at low RPM's and let it dry overnight, it will be fine the next day.

todd_cards

Reaction score
Theres a sensor somewhere (I forget where and the name of it) but if you get it wet enough your check engine light will come on and your car will stall if you go above like 3000RPM or a little below 3000RPM. Just drive it slowly at low RPM's and let it dry overnight, it will be fine the next day.

thats EXACTLY what it is doing thanks a lot for letting me know man! but on that last drive home i was up to speed so it was ok, just now worried about the check engine light

soccerchamp16

Reaction score
thats EXACTLY what it is doing thanks a lot for letting me know man! but on that last drive home i was up to speed so it was ok, just now worried about the check engine light

I figured thats what it was, just go to autozone and clear it, nothing to worry about.

Jimsun

Reaction score
was it the upstream O2 sensor? I know my car was bad when the mech installed the wrong sensor. I stall and couldn't past a certain rpm

H-town_Ryda_06

Reaction score
You guys are crazy.. I do the same thing when I detail my engine bay. But always on a cool engine and yes I try tho keep high pressure off fuse box nd that stuff, I usually put a bag over intake and such but never have problems.

I did have issues when I first got her, but I just pulled open all the sensors and connections and blew them out with air and sealed them with lithium grease to keep water/vapor from seeping in. no more issues :)

fastflyinaccord

Reaction score
i just use a rag with some tire shine...cleans everything off and leaves a nice shine. Really tough stuff, I use a little Simple Green. I have never taken a hose to my engine bay...actually I helped a guy push his truck out of the wash bay a few weeks ago because he sprayed his engine bay.

Brad2274

Reaction score
i work at a detail shop and usually when someone has us detail an engine bay we spray some degreaser on the underside of hood, shock towers, all the black plastic(intakes, covers, etc), hoses and such. wait a few minutes, Then(as long as all covers are in place, this is on completely stock engines usually) we use a pressure sprayer on the delicate setting to hose off the now loose dirt/grease carefully with the engine RUNNING, believe it or not its the safest way to wash an engine/bay. they're supposed to be water resistant, as long as you dont stick a water hose in the intake and havent removed stock protection or spray with high pressure, nothing bad should happen.

Back