F-ing-series cams?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
CAM, sorry. Yes one. Sohc yes, I know. I have no intentions of revving to 17000 rpm. I was just wondering if there were any solid gains in the mid-upper rpm range. (past my 6k rev limit.) and yes the only real way it will help is if I get different spring, lighter retainers and locks, ect.

First of all, you could do head work to make your car have more power up high. But as I said before, the F23 is not really suited for high rpm's.

High revving engines have a short stroke and less travel as the pistons rise and fall. Im sure the engine could probably do 7k safely, but anything beyond that would probably stress the motor too much.

The F23 is really better left alone N/A or turboed.

Last edited:

99CcordMTF23

Reaction score
As far as the revs, I really do understand that by design the f-series is more of a grunt torque motor. 7k sounds just fine. My power pulls all the way till the annoying duck-shooter. But as far as turbos, that's basically the only hope, unless you have an apesh*t bisi-moto f22...

hondahana

Reaction score
Even a good tune wouldn't make the valvetrain lighter :lawl:

lighter??? stiffer springs is all you really need. u can use stock retainers...

i have taken an f22a6 up to 7k numerous times with no problems. the limit was set to 7.3k did it for 6 months in an auto lol.

jwong512

Reaction score
Would there still be any noticeable gains if I were to just bolt everything on such as I/H/E, pulleys, and then do the cam?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Would there still be any noticeable gains if I were to just bolt everything on such as I/H/E, pulleys, and then do the cam?

Yes, but your rev limited would be the same. The F23 can handle 7krpm limit adjustment stock, any further and you'd better have a spare block.

jwong512

Reaction score
Yes, but your rev limited would be the same. The F23 can handle 7krpm limit adjustment stock, any further and you'd better have a spare block.

Well, I'm fine with the current rev limit and I'm driving an auto so yeah :p. So it would be just like any other bolt on, install, then disconnect battery and reconnect? Let the car idle for a bit then drive?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Changing a camshaft isnt a joe mechanic type thing to do. You have to understand crank angle and BTDC, TDC. You need a torque wrench, a factory service manual and a timing belt kit to swap a cam shaft. I dont think it would be good to swap a camshaft and not do a tune, its changing air mixtures into the combustion chamber and Im not sure the stock ECU can adjust to match the fuel.

jwong512

Reaction score
Changing a camshaft isnt a joe mechanic type thing to do. You have to understand crank angle and BTDC, TDC. You need a torque wrench, a factory service manual and a timing belt kit to swap a cam shaft. I dont think it would be good to swap a camshaft and not do a tune, its changing air mixtures into the combustion chamber and Im not sure the stock ECU can adjust to match the fuel.

I heard that OBD2 isn't really tuneable so you would have to convert to OBD1? However, I heard from people that if you convert to OBD1 it's not possible to pass a smog check? Is that true?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Set TDC, remove distributor, spark plugs, remove valve cover, remove timing belt, remove rocker assembly (starting from the middle and going out), lift out cam, remove cam gear. Install cam gear on new cam, lube up new cam with assembly lube as well as the cam journals, reinstall cam, rocker assy (making sure to follow proper tq procedure). Then follow instructions for doing a timing belt change. Check valve lash. Once thats done, rotate the engine over and listen for anything hitting, etc.

It's not rocket science.

The F23's r/s ratio isn't the best for high revving, nor is it's valvetrain, but it's still capable of revving out past 7k. I plan on taking mine to 7300-7500 max.

Last edited:

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
Set TDC, remove distributor, spark plugs, remove valve cover, remove timing belt, remove rocker assembly (starting from the middle and going out), lift out cam, remove cam gear. Install cam gear on new cam, lube up new cam with assembly lube as well as the cam journals, reinstall cam, rocker assy (making sure to follow proper tq procedure). Then follow instructions for doing a timing belt change. Check valve lash. Once thats done, rotate the engine over and listen for anything hitting, etc.

It's not rocket science.

The F23's r/s ratio isn't the best for high revving, nor is it's valvetrain, but it's still capable of revving out past 7k. I plan on taking mine to 7300-7500 max.

that is all that is needed. our cars can handle different cams without the ecu freaking out. but to tap into the power, you would need to tune it

i accidently misshifted from 3rd to 2nd one night that we were tuning and saw the needle go well past 7.5k. now it was brief, but there was no ill effects from that mishap

like i stated, my cars rev limit is set to 7300rpm (correction: shift light at 7.2 with fuel cutofff at 7.5) and i have had no engine problems that have come from revving that high

Latest posts

Back