F23 manual 5 speed swap questions

Snoobly

Reaction score
Oh jeez. wiring. it's been so long. swap is totally worth it though. good luck man!

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where are the wiring diagrams? And is the only electronic component that needs to be wired in on the tranny the vss?

There's a few in the DIY thread. Yes, the VSS is the only electronic item on the tranny you need to worry about

Snoobly

Reaction score
Hey, what upgrades did you do to your engine before boosting? Also is yours the f23 block or did you swap it?

Yes it was an all stock F23 until I blew the headgasket, then I upgraded to ARP headstuds. Then I blew the Piston Rings. Now I'm deTurbo'd. I've got the Turbo engine pulled out on an engine stand to be rebuilt better for boost over the summer and a new N/A engine in the car for now. Stick with one thing at a time though. Just focus on the Manual Swap for now and then save up money for whatever you may want to do to the engine.

komodomoe

Reaction score
Yes it was an all stock F23 until I blew the headgasket, then I upgraded to ARP headstuds. Then I blew the Piston Rings. Now I'm deTurbo'd. I've got the Turbo engine pulled out on an engine stand to be rebuilt better for boost over the summer and a new N/A engine in the car for now. Stick with one thing at a time though. Just focus on the Manual Swap for now and then save up money for whatever you may want to do to the engine.

Well, here's what I want to do since my car is a daily driver and cant be out of commission for very long. My motor has about 148k on it and those f23 motors are a dime a dozen with less than half the mileage from various websites.

What I was thinking is that I would throw all the mods on a newer used engine (40-50k) and then just transplant it over a weekend. The parts I'm planning to throw in are the new manual tranny, 10:1 forged Pistons, Billet h-beam Rods, ACL main bearings (maybe), ARP Head studs, ARP Main studs, MLS Head gasket, LSD, and a Catback exhaust. Once those are all assembled, the engine should be turbo-ready and I'll throw it into the car until I can afford a full turbo setup including the BOV, wastegate, manifold, boost controller, turbo timer, intercooler and piping, gauges, fuel pump, fuel injectors, maybe a fuel pressure regulator (?), and I'm guessing I need some kind of new ECU since the stock 5-speed one probably won't cut it, am I right?

One more question, would this LSD be plug and play for my tranny or would I have to get special hardware or different axles to fit it in? I'll be honest, I have no idea where the differential goes in a front wheel drive car.
Part number WTLSD-H22 from gearspeedwholesale

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:ugh:

Just go with OE green bearings, you dont need ARP main studs, 10:1 is high for a turbo build but doable, what turbo are you going with? Horsepower goals?

The LSD goes inside your transmission, and no, you won't need special axles.

komodomoe

Reaction score
:ugh:

Just go with OE green bearings, you dont need ARP main studs, 10:1 is high for a turbo build but doable, what turbo are you going with? Horsepower goals?

The LSD goes inside your transmission, and no, you won't need special axles.

Ok, yeah, I looked up a video on swapping in an LSD so that makes more sense. Should I replace the bearings or just leave them if the motor only have 45k? And actually that last post was a mistake, the supplier I'm looking at has 2 options for pistons- 11:1 and 8.5:1. I'm guessing I'd probably have to go NA with the 11:1 but until the turbo goes in I'd lose a lot of power on the 8.5:1's

I guess my goals are a 12 second 1/4. I'd be happy with around 300-350 WHP

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Always replace the bearings. It's cheap insurance.

Yea, you'll be low on power with 8.5:1's and no boost but I'm sure you can live it for awhilw.

komodomoe

Reaction score
Always replace the bearings. It's cheap insurance.

Yea, you'll be low on power with 8.5:1's and no boost but I'm sure you can live it for awhilw.

Hey, thanks for all the help. I've been doing research on bearings and I was curious how you determine ideal bearing clearance. If I'm increasing output on the motor will I want more clearance? if so, how much? I decided on some K20 pistons from Wiseco that will put me at 10:1. Initially my horsepower should only see minor gains (+10 or so) but I'm looking to port it and boost it up to 350whp with the turbo. What would I be looking for on bearing clearance with that much output?

komodomoe

Reaction score
This is a repost from H-T but I was hoping someone here may have some insight.
Ok, so I have what I thought to be all the necessary parts for the 5-speed swap but I'm having a little confusion of some certain things. I'd like some info from anyone with experience with this model year because I don't know exactly what all needs to be done regarding the motor/tranny mounts.

Below are links to the oem parts diagrams for the mounts. I'm kind of confused because I didn't think all the mounts had to change, I had read somewhere that it was just the front right and the tranny mount itself, but there are different part numbers on all of the mounts AND brackets for the most part. The engine side mount is the same, but the RR mount, FR mount, rear and front brackets are all different. Do these actually need to be changed out as well? I don't understand why the engine mounts would be any different but if anyone has done this swap, please let me know. On the bright side, if I do need all new mounts, the engine mounting for the MT version looks a LOT simpler, but still that's a lot of parts to buy (and I just replaced the FR motor mount because it was completely shot, damn)

Also, I read that the Driver side half shaft is different, but not the passenger side. Can anyone confirm this?

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/p...mounts-l4-at-3

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/p...mount-mt-98-02

Back