Fast clicking noise while driving

LX_F23A1

Reaction score
I had the same problem somewhat, it was the tensionors for the timming belt.
But you said the clicking noise rises and falls with speed of your car not engine.

Just hope its not a wheel bearing.

TACORICAN

Reaction score
No rocks, I even heard the noise while the tires were off and the car was on drive (wheels spinning in the air). Timing belt was done by me at 126K Miles and no problems since.
The noise is annoying.

nexTOme

Reaction score
The scary part was I actually had techs tell me that a wheel bearing needed to be replaced, and then I just walk up to the car, pull a huge rock out of the tread and tell them to test drive the car again. Low and behold, the "wheel bearing" is fixed!

why can't every dealers and shops/mechanics be like you?
it would save so much time and trouble.
they will make more money in the long run for honesty.

TACORICAN

Reaction score
The noise is on the opposite side of where the tranny is. I listened to is and even stuck my head in the wheel well. Its right where the rotor is. Could it be the ABS?

Drift

Reaction score
Have you taken the brakes off yet? It could be a small piece of metal sticking off the rotor and catching on the backing plate. Or it could be the pad's wear indicator catching on the rotor. It could be a wheel bearing. . . more info needed.

LX_F23A1

Reaction score
WHEEL BEARING!!!!!!

or it can be that dust shield rusting and bending into the way of some moving parts......:run:

TACORICAN

Reaction score
Have you taken the brakes off yet? It could be a small piece of metal sticking off the rotor and catching on the backing plate. Or it could be the pad's wear indicator catching on the rotor. It could be a wheel bearing. . . more info needed.

Brakes replaced (Front and back including all rotors) yesterday. Noise still there. I guess I'll try replacing the bearing to see if that takes care of the issue...
Thanks for all the responses.

henreeezy xp

Reaction score
if its your wheel bearing, you'd know when you're driving/rolling at idle. your steering wheel would vibrate. another way to check for the wheel bearing is put your car on a hoist/jack and shake the wheel you think has a bad wheel bearing or whatever. if it has a lot of freeplay then its the bearing. if not, then yeah :)

silverbullet99

Reaction score
best way to check a wheel bearing: put the 6thgen up on a lift/jack stands/whatever, get someone in the car to bring it up to 25-35mph. make sure you tell them NOT to turn the wheel at all. while the wheels are spinning, grab the strut. if you feel any vibration, you know you got a bad bearing. try this before putting a new bearing in, theres no point in just throwing parts at your car & hoping they solve the problem. fix it right the first time.

Back