few questions on interior bulbs

sajin

Reaction score
I am going to change out my bulbs soon due to some being blown and I want a new color. Before I order them, I wanted to make sure how many of which ones I needed. I noticed a few things while I was doing this and have a few questions now.

First, are these bulbs circled the same bulb? I wasn't sure because one was black and not white and had wires connected it to it. Also, when I was trying to turn them, I couldn't. I felt as if they were going to break. Is there a little trick to open them or am I just a noob and didn't turn hard enough?
111_zps93ac1487.jpg

Second, I noticed I had 2 bulbs missing. Are they supposed to be missing due to my region or something (I half way recall something about these having bulbs there in canadian cars but I don't know) or did they magically fall out?
222_zpsa7da9046.jpg

Third, are the 3 bulbs circled the same bulb and same color? Why does one have a black base? What's so special about him?
333_zpsf763f5ec.jpg

That's all the questions I have for now. Just waiting on these answeres and i'll be ready to order my bulbs.

This is for an 01 Accord v6 AT.

Last edited:

LeAccord

Reaction score
I am going to change out my bulbs soon due to some being blown and I want a new color. Before I order them, I wanted to make sure how many of which ones I needed. I noticed a few things while I was doing this and have a few questions now.

First, are these bulbs circled the same bulb? I wasn't sure because one was black and not white and had wires connected it to it. Also, when I was trying to turn them, I couldn't. I felt as if they were going to break. Is there a little trick to open them or am I just a noob and didn't turn hard enough?
111_zps93ac1487.jpg

Second, I noticed I had 2 bulbs missing. Are they supposed to be missing due to my region or something (I half way recall something about these having bulbs there in canadian cars but I don't know) or did they magically fall out?
222_zpsa7da9046.jpg

Third, are the 3 bulbs circled the same bulb and same color? Why does one have a black base? What's so special about him?
333_zpsf763f5ec.jpg

That's all the questions I have for now. Just waiting on these answeres and i'll be ready to order my bulbs.

This is for an 01 Accord v6 AT.

1/ Yes they are all the same, T10 bulbs. I believe the white socket beneath the black one is the fuel warning light so don't change that one. Change the other four white sockets and the black one with wires.

I had to use pliers to help gain a hold of the socket to twist out as they were on pretty hard..

2/ I don't think there are meant to be bulbs there.

3/ I'm pretty sure 3 of them are 5mm and the other 3 are 4mm bulbs. Idk about the black one .. I don't think I have that one .. When I replaced all 6 with LEDs my auto climate screen doesn't light up for some reason .. Gotta look into it again .

sajin

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. The one that had me really worried was the second question. Glad to see it wasn't just me who couldn't do it by hand.

juvin

Reaction score
Your cluster looks like mine. I have 99 v6 I just did this last night. If its the same they are 3-4mm & 3-5mm. I followed the DIY, u can search on this forum, and the only issue i have, it is not bright on the temp LCD screen. And around the knobs look purplish. I think theres a thread on how to remove the film behind knobs. That part was left out on the led automotive site. I also think I got the wrong bulbs and I was going to ask some on here.

The bulbs I bought were the high output ones not wide angle. I also notice, the OEM bulbs are much taller than the ones I bought. There was not an option on the height of the bulb. When I did a search I found 3 types of NEOs. Types 1-3. And they are differnt in height.

I am going to buy the wide angle ones for the climate control and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

sajin

Reaction score
This crap is giving me a bit more trouble than it should. I changed out the 194 bulbs behind the odometer and such easily. The smaller ones (T1.5-x: PC74 LED Bulb) gave me trouble. The new bulb+socket would not fit. Luckily, the bulbs were interchangable and I just swapped out bulbs and used the old socket. Worked just fine.

Changing the shifter light was easy too after a pair of needle nose pliers helped loosen the socket so I could twist it out.

Now when I tried to change the bulbs for the AC and such, they (NEO4-W: 4mm and NEO5-W: 5mm) do not fit just like the new 74s earlier. They are just too fat apparently. When measured side by side to the old ones, they seem like they should fit just perfect. Did you guys have any trouble inserting the new ones in? I think I can force it in if I push REALLY hard but if it's backwards, I don't think I can pull it back out and turn it. Are the bulbs interchangable like the 74's?

sajin

Reaction score
these are the bulbs i'm having trouble with.
IMG_1619_zpsdf850b63.jpg

IMG_1620_zps52a426fb.jpg

IMG_1628_zps0ab785d1.jpg

You can kind of see where it's hitting and won't go into the hole in this picture
IMG_1626_zps17d05f53.jpg

And this is how the "Amber" and "Cool White" bulbs look in the daytime on the LCD screen. Minor hot spots but no biggie. Better then it being completely dark at night not being able to see it.
IMG_1616_zps4fb2b462.jpg

IMG_1615_zpsbaee17ed.jpg

LeAccord

Reaction score
Yeah you gotta force it in. Just make sure you dont ruin the plastic with your flathead screwdriver . Was a bit of a pain to get in.

sajin

Reaction score
Ahhh thank you. Going back outside right now to continue this little mission. Be back soon when it's done. Hope I like it the way it comes out and I don't have to remove the film just so i'm content with how it comes out. :)

Back