Finally, Auto to Manual

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Well today hasn't went quite as planned... I woke up late and didn't even get to deposit my pay check in the bank. Then I went to the salvage yard to look around to see if I could find any 96-00 preludes or accords for donor parts. But everything they had up there was a mangled mess of metal and and almost all of them were missing the interior parts. So I didn't even fool with going to pick up the F22. Basically I am going to chill out till next weekend. Oh and a few more questions should I just get new hydro lines, master cylinder, slave cylinder, and starter?

If you got the money, why not? I don't think a used master and slave cylinder is bad though. hydro lines shud be okay used. It all depends on u. Some people will say get all new parts. Most people will say its fine to get used ones as long as the car doesnt have 200k on it.

98ACCORDLXSD

Reaction score
Gonna need a Manual tranny ECU as well, Contact dealership for the Immobilizer brake code for that ECU. Unless you convert it over to a 96/97 Accord ECU that did not have that system.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1229014

Apparently as well, you need new motor mounts. Left one is the same for auto/manual. Front, Rear and tranny mounts are different.

Mmblvl5

Reaction score
Sup,
Well guys I've located most if not all parts for my auto to manual swap.
This is my approximate est. for the parts and were I found them.

Majestic Honda
Master cylinder and anything that has to do with it including nuts, bolts, and hydro lines. That is including stuff for the slave cylinder as well.
approximate cost 250

Clutch pedal, bracket, sensors, nuts, bolts, and the brake pedal also.
approximate cost 180

Shifter assembly, shift cables, nuts, bolts, seals, shift knob, and boot
approximate cost 240

From TAS auto parts
R/H C.V. axle 80
L/H C.V. Axle 80
5 speed tranny mount 90
ACT flywheel 310
OEM clutch kit 140
Short shift adapter 50

The 5 speed transmission, starter, and ECU, I have found on Ebay
5 speed transmissions generally are 350-700
Starters are generally 150-275
ECU are generally 150-300

I personally don't like fooling with Ebay, but if I have to I will resort to Ebay. I am sure if I look hard enough locally I could find the tranny, starter, and ECU. I am sure I can find the 3 wire VSS at a local junkyard and my step dad can get the tranny fluid for around 4 bucks a quart.
Well guys let me know what you think and if anything is missing.
Thanks

Mmblvl5

Reaction score
Oh yeah,
I left out a few something that I was wondering.
I can go get a F22 motor and tranny with the starter for 150 bucks but I want to make sure of something before I get that.
Witch transmission would be more suitible for the swap a H series transmission or a F series transmission. Reason I ask this is because I am wanting to do a G swap after I finish this. Wouldn't the motor rev higher with a H series head on it instead of the SOHC F series head? If so would the F series tranny make the car faster than the H series, or visa versa? I kno a stupid question.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I would personally get a new master cylinder and slave cylinder if i was doing this, i don't have to :D. They are parts that suck to deal with when they go and you have no clue when they will. With the work involved, it's just something i would do. That goes for the clutch as well obviously, flywheel only if you need to. I don't really see the point if it can be machined if you are buying an oem clutch and all that.

Most people swap to an h23 tranny if they want shorter gears. The h22 is too short to be streetable. Badger type has done this, probably others as well. I'm considering this in the distant future when my clutch goes, if i still own the car.

98ACCORDLXSD

Reaction score
Cost me 260$ from TAS Auto For Front/Rear Motor Mount, Passenger Side Axle. ( Yes apparently motors mounts for when you have a 5 speed are different then autos )

175$ I got a F22 Tranny complete, Pedal Assembly, 5 Speed Shifter Assembly, F22 Starter, Clutch Master, Slave etc, tranny mount.

125 For a Manual ECU & 75$ for the 1/2 Shaft 120$ for a new driver side axle.

300$ for a new clutch kit with pressure plate, clutch, light weight flywheel and new throw out bearing. Salvaged tranny bolts ( requires 1 long one for the swap ) and flywheel ( M/T are different then autos ) and pressure plate bolts off the H23 I picked up for dirt cheap.

Tranny fluid most people just run 5W30 and some Lucas Oil Treatment.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Sup,
Well guys I've located most if not all parts for my auto to manual swap.
This is my approximate est. for the parts and were I found them.

Majestic Honda
Master cylinder and anything that has to do with it including nuts, bolts, and hydro lines. That is including stuff for the slave cylinder as well.
approximate cost 250

Clutch pedal, bracket, sensors, nuts, bolts, and the brake pedal also.
approximate cost 180

Shifter assembly, shift cables, nuts, bolts, seals, shift knob, and boot
approximate cost 240

From TAS auto parts
R/H C.V. axle 80
L/H C.V. Axle 80
5 speed tranny mount 90
ACT flywheel 310
OEM clutch kit 140
Short shift adapter 50

The 5 speed transmission, starter, and ECU, I have found on Ebay
5 speed transmissions generally are 350-700
Starters are generally 150-275
ECU are generally 150-300

I personally don't like fooling with Ebay, but if I have to I will resort to Ebay. I am sure if I look hard enough locally I could find the tranny, starter, and ECU. I am sure I can find the 3 wire VSS at a local junkyard and my step dad can get the tranny fluid for around 4 bucks a quart.
Well guys let me know what you think and if anything is missing.
Thanks

why did you buy two axles, you only need the drivers side shaft.....

Back