full coilover questions

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
The only thing I really worry about is when the plows go by and leave 12" of compacted snow at intersections.

man, thats where all the fun is!

0302091312.jpg

:lawl:

finch13

Reaction score
I know its fun, but when you're in traffic and don't want to make an *** of yourself they get pretty scary :skurred:

We have like an inch of compacted snow on all the parking lots. Been testing how good my suspension would be for future drift events lately.

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
ok so it sounds like the tein basics are going to be the best option. does putting coil overs on affect camber or anything else that would make me go through tires quicker? (after an alignment)

Millz

Reaction score
ask around local tuning shops in vancouver

there's plenty of places in toronto that i know of that are selling function and form type 1s (no dampening adjustment) for $900 or just under $900

for tein basics i think you'll be looking at just barely pushing the $1,100 barrier

make sure you do your research, as your budget (if you're planning to buy new) doesn't give you the option of getting coilovers with dampening adjustment

i think basics are a lot more softer than the F&F type 1s

be prepared to order a new fork (or forks) for the front that sit at the bottom of the shock as canadian winters ****ed up my bolt and nothing could get it free (mechanic tried various things ended up just cutting the bolt and ordering a new fork)

also, be prepared to replace some bushings

before i got my coilovers in and i was putting in tein s-techs, i had to change all 4 bushings that the bolt needed to be removed out of (the rubber part of the bushing would spin as you turn the bolt)

im not sure about F&F type 1s or basics, but my omnis came with the bushings for the back as part of the coilover

good luck, im just giving u a heads up since you gotta drive through our winters too and i ran into some issues installing mine

Last edited:

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
what does dampening adjustment do?

and btw im not too worried about the tein basics being to soft. i dont drive very hard, or race, these would just be to make the car sit a little lower and corner a tad better

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
so after reading that, approximately what negative camber would my car have at full drop with Tein Basics? im planning on getting an alignment done, however I just want to know if i should work a camber kit into my budget :p

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
so after reading that, approximately what negative camber would my car have at full drop with Tein Basics? im planning on getting an alignment done, however I just want to know if i should work a camber kit into my budget :p

suspensions are like finger prints, no two are the same...imo. so the only way youll know what your alignment is at after you lower the car, is to get an alignment done. also, camber doesnt necessarily eat away at your tires, it just wears them differently. toe is what really kills tires. ive had gobs of camber for the past year an a half, and my tires are fine. as long as the toe is set straight youll be good. toe is what you want set straight asap because its like dragging the tire down the street sideways. all toe can be adjust with how the car come from the factory, no aftermarket parts needed.

also, keep in mind that if you get a front ball joint camber kit, youll reduce clearance between the upper control arms and the strut towers. with my old 6g, i wasnt even close to as low as i am now, and after i put the camber kit in, my uca's would hit more often. this is due to the bolt head on top of the ball joint camber kit. theres really no way around it other than either raising your car, which isnt the reason most people buy coilovers, or not running a camber kit at all. i dont have any camber kits on my car right now.

for the rear, youd be safe to get one for back there, it wont interfere with anything at any height. look up "wicked tuning" ones on ebay....if you dont want to get those exactly, i would definitely suggest getting ones made in that style. they attach at the top of the knuckle to adjust camber, the ingalls one attaches at the bottom and you need 4 arms instead of 2. i bought the ingalls rear a while ago, and it was only 2 lower arms, which is ridiculous cuz it said it was for both sides....and you cant adjust the rear camber with just one lower arm per side, like you can with just the one upper arm per side.

if you really dont want any camber, set some money aside for the kits. just keep in mind what i said about the front ones. and tein basics wont go as low as the ksports i have, and right now my front camber isnt even bad.

Back