Gas pedal response messed up

phi1542

Reaction score
The Cat should be okay. I would bite the bullet and remove the intake manifold, clean the throttle body etc.

I used this TSB as a guide - PDF link > (http://brentlogan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/a05-026.pdf) its simple, skip pas the diagnostic parts. I didn’t put in a “EGR pipe” insert in the manifold or drill it out, I just cleaned all the gunk out. But mine was NASTY and packed with carbon. I did this at about 125,xxx miles and I’m at 215,xxx now. Hasn’t come back yet.

Clogged manifold EGR passage:
6FySUFJ.jpg

Thanks haha yeah people on this thread told me to do that and there's a DIY video but I'm not really experienced with cars at all and it looks pretty hard. Did you have difficulties doing it? That would most likely solve my egr code but what about my cat code :( my car is at 261k

james'99

Reaction score
Yeah I removed and cleaned the EGR.. Is there any other way to clean it? Or you talking about under the intake manifold?because I never took the intake manifold off to clean under there. I actually ended up replacing the EGR lol idk what's going on. After cleaning the EGR I was CEL free for a few months then it comes back..... Cat code comes then if I leave it there for a while the egr comes too after it. So I replaced cat with a mags flow not too long ago. New denso o2 sensors (both). New EGR from autozone. No exhaust leaks. This is blowing my mind. Defective cat from mags flow???? That seems unlikely though. It's not direct fit one I have the 2.25" weld on one.. Should still work right?

In theory, the cat is working. May just stick a spark plug de-fouler in there and be done with it. Maybe not enough is happening to the air before the car reads it? Not big enough?

For the EGR, I'd remove the intake and EGR valve and make sure the passage from one to the other is completely clean. I think you're capable. Change the EGR gasket and call it done. I would also make sure you clean the port on the manifold itself when it is off. Not just the hole down to the EGR.

phi1542

Reaction score
In theory, the cat is working. May just stick a spark plug de-fouler in there and be done with it. Maybe not enough is happening to the air before the car reads it? Not big enough?

For the EGR, I'd remove the intake and EGR valve and make sure the passage from one to the other is completely clean. I think you're capable. Change the EGR gasket and call it done. I would also make sure you clean the port on the manifold itself when it is off. Not just the hole down to the EGR.

Ok when I have time i will clean under the intake manifold. The new EGR from autozone came with a new gasket so that is done. After doing that the EGR code should be gone in theory i hope and praying the cat code will go away with it. Maybe since the egr is clogged not enough air/gas is passing the cat so its throwing up a code. I hope thats the case. If cat code is still there i will just throw in a spark plug defouler and call it a day lmao

So all i need is that? http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-42009-Spark-Plug-Non-Fouler/dp/B000CO91FY

where does it go???

james'99

Reaction score
Ok when I have time i will clean under the intake manifold. The new EGR from autozone came with a new gasket so that is done. After doing that the EGR code should be gone in theory i hope and praying the cat code will go away with it. Maybe since the egr is clogged not enough air/gas is passing the cat so its throwing up a code. I hope thats the case. If cat code is still there i will just throw in a spark plug defouler and call it a day lmao

So all i need is that? http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-42009-Spark-Plug-Non-Fouler/dp/B000CO91FY

where does it go???

Yeah, that should do it. Maybe a longer L shaped one to be safe. Do you have to pass emissions?

Also, you may wind up changing that EGR gasket again. The reason I said is because I think you should remove the valve again so that you can flush out all the junk you push down from the top with carb cleaner or something. It is a straight passage from the valve to the intake plenum.

phi1542

Reaction score
Yeah, that should do it. Maybe a longer L shaped one to be safe. Do you have to pass emissions?

Also, you may wind up changing that EGR gasket again. The reason I said is because I think you should remove the valve again so that you can flush out all the junk you push down from the top with carb cleaner or something. It is a straight passage from the valve to the intake plenum.

This one? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1U6I54/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_CRKmwbVDP8XEJ

Does it go on the upstream one or downstream?

I ordered the 3M tune up kit. It has the intake system cleaner, throttle body cleaner, and fuel system for the gas tank. Gonna test that out looks like a solid product. Going to use that along with cleaning out the egr see how it goes. And ok I will replace it again haha only couple bucks

james'99

Reaction score
This one? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1U6I54/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_CRKmwbVDP8XEJ

Does it go on the upstream one or downstream?

I ordered the 3M tune up kit. It has the intake system cleaner, throttle body cleaner, and fuel system for the gas tank. Gonna test that out looks like a solid product. Going to use that along with cleaning out the egr see how it goes. And ok I will replace it again haha only couple bucks

Yeah, that looks good. It goes on the downstream one, on the cat. Do you have to pass emissions?

phi1542

Reaction score
Yeah, that looks good. It goes on the downstream one, on the cat. Do you have to pass emissions?

It's M18X1.5 so that's correct? Oh ok cool so easy install right? Jack up the car screw off screw on? And nah I passed smog already like a year ago but I hate seeing the CEL and it just bothers me hahaha

james'99

Reaction score
It's M18X1.5 so that's correct? Oh ok cool so easy install right? Jack up the car screw off screw on? And nah I passed smog already like a year ago but I hate seeing the CEL and it just bothers me hahaha

Yeah, easy install. I don't know the thread pitch on our sensors honestly. They are pretty universal and the particular one you picked appears to have a couple adapters.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
The old sensor is usually stuck, I just whack off the top and use an impact wrench to remove it.

But yeah, M18x1.5

I can't find my pic :( , the sparkplug defouler trick doesn't work well because the sensor will hit the tunnel, use one with a pipe street elbow. They are male on one end, femal on the other. Run them: cat-ELBOW-defouler-sensor. I can't remember the size right now, like 1/2" pipe, so that will be like 5/8"-11tpi thread. They bassically thread together. The defouler needs a bit of help to work, though.

Last edited:
Back