H23A DOHC VTEC Head on F23a1 Block Question

SuperMidget

Reaction score
Hey there, I've just bought the rare h23a head and plan on eventually doing the famous G23 Frankenstine build :)Been doing research over the last couple months and have plenty on info..

But on this link in wiki ---> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_H_Engine
Says the h23a block uses a seperate oil passage to activate vtec... Am I going to lose vtec if I use this head?

I've looked up the casting number and it matches, does anyone know anything about this/ familar with the head? I'd like to identify which port in the head it matches to..
I'm gonna post this in some prelude forums too :p

THanks guys, love the site, its been a huge help for two years so far now.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
I only know of the two coolant lines on the head that have to be plugged. Then the distributer, water pump, and some other stuff has to be modified, but it's all fairly simple stuff in concept.

Since when is vtec done by oil? :thinking:

Unless I'm missing something...

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Oh. He meant activated.. As in the vtec solenoid for when the cam lift changes.... I guess I read that wrong. I thought he meant vtec is an oil thing or something.

Ocho

Reaction score
The oil lines to plug are on the cam side of the head I will take a pic of the ones to plug later after work. I have an h22 head that I'm going to use so it should be the same. I just laid the head gasket on the block and you can clearly tell which 2 lines need to be plugged cause of how off the two oil lines are.

Back