help with oil consumption

xluben

Reaction score
i have a 99 accord lx 2.3L I4 w/manual transmission. it has 142k miles. i am consuming a ton of oil. there isn't any puddling under the car when it sits, but there is some blue-ish smoke at higher rpms.

i am going through around 1 quart of oil every 100 miles! i am constantly topping off to keep it between the max and min markings. if i were to go a week without checking it'd be off the stick.

in august i had a check engine code come on, so i took it into a shop to be looked at. this is what the mechanic noted:

"Misfire on #3 cylinder. Remove the plug and inspect it and the wire - plug
shows age and some carbon buildup from oil burning. Check the other tune up
parts and wet test the ignition wires. Remove and replace the 4 plugs - #3
cylinder has the most oil in the cylinder and the others do show carbon
buildup. Inspect the under side for oil leaks - small leak from the fron
crank seal. Appears to be the piston rings as the source. Clean affected
surfaces and test drive again."

i month or so ago i pulled out the plugs to take a look and the third one already had a ton of build up. i re-gapped them (they were way off) and put them back in.

i have changed the pcv valve and installed a catch can and i did a seafoam treatment (into the pcv vacuum hose), but consumption remains the same.

i am starting to think i may have a blown piston ring.

what do you suggest i do next?

i am thinking of getting my timing belt changed (because i bought the car with no maintenance record, so i'd like to get it done just for peace of mind). could this help with my problem?

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a worn piston ring.
Under normal driving, oil consumption should be normal.
But it's when you're heavy on the gas (5K RPM's or higher while VTEC is engaged) will definitely burn oil. When doing that, you'll see a little white/bluish smoke from the tail pipe. It won't be a lot because most of the oil is being burned.

Just change your oil every two months till you're abe to get a new motor. You can even use some Lucas oil stabilizer or some type of ring seal conditioner to slow consumption and raise your oil pressure. But eventually, you'll have to replace the motor.
I Recommend geting a new motor because it's much, MUCH cheaper than repairing a worn piston ring.

But Until then, KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR OIL LEVEL.
When ever it gets low, add oil.

PS...

If you notice white smoke during idle, or from normal acceleration, it could be a blown head gasket.(which is better than a blown piston ring)
Check your antifreez too see if any oil has mixed with it. If so, replace the head gasket.

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
yes, white smoke usually means blown head gasket.

is there any oil in your intake or really dirty oil inside the valve cover?

xluben

Reaction score
blacknight said:
Sounds like you have a worn piston ring.
Under normal driving, oil consumption should be normal.
But it's when you're heavy on the gas (5K RPM's or higher while VTEC is engaged) will definitely burn oil. When doing that, you'll see a little white/bluish smoke from the tail pipe. It won't be a lot because most of the oil is being burned.

Just change your oil every two months till you're abe to get a new motor. You can even use some Lucas oil stabilizer or some type of ring seal conditioner to slow consumption and raise your oil pressure. But eventually, you'll have to replace the motor.
I Recommend geting a new motor because it's much, MUCH cheaper than repairing a worn piston ring.

But Until then, KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR OIL LEVEL.
When ever it gets low, add oil.

PS...

If you notice white smoke during idle, or from normal acceleration, it could be a blown head gasket.(which is better than a blown piston ring)
Check your antifreez too see if any oil has mixed with it. If so, replace the head gasket.

yeah, i have to check the oil (and add) a couple times a week :mad:

also, the coolant reservoir has a lot of dark buildup inside, that means head gasket?

sounds like i might be getting a new car soon :furious:

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
xluben said:
yeah, i have to check the oil (and add) a couple times a week :mad:

also, the coolant reservoir has a lot of dark buildup inside, that means head gasket?

sounds like i might be getting a new car soon :furious:

Nah, just replace the motor.

You can get a motor for less than $500

xluben

Reaction score
blacknight said:
Nah, just replace the motor.

You can get a motor for less than $500

plus labor.

i just don't have that kind of money.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
xluben said:
chances are...yeah. have someone else start the car for you and watch for white smoke coming out the tail pipe. after it warms up and you open the hood, there should be a strong funky smell if there is indeed coolant being mixed with oil.

pop your radiator cap (when engine is cold!! lol) and see if your coolant is the color of cappucino. if it is, then its the head gasket :(

xluben

Reaction score
ryan s said:
chances are...yeah. have someone else start the car for you and watch for white smoke coming out the tail pipe. after it warms up and you open the hood, there should be a strong funky smell if there is indeed coolant being mixed with oil.

pop your radiator cap (when engine is cold!! lol) and see if your coolant is the color of cappucino. if it is, then its the head gasket :(

would a bad head gasket cause me to consume that much oil (under the conditions described)?

and how would i determine whether it is the head gasket or a piston ring?

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
xluben said:

look in the radiator itself and see if the coolant has oil particles in it.... if yes, def the head gasket... to check if it's a worn piston ring, i believe u do this:

1. do a compression test on tht cyclinder
2. add oil to it, and retest it
3. if compression goes up, tht mean u have uhh.... i forgot, but it's one of the 2 :p but i'm leaning more towards the bad piston ring... brain not really working at 2 am :sleeping:

get the h22 or a new f23... way cheaper than buying a new car, and u get a new motor to start with :thumbsup:

Back