help with oil consumption

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Honestly speaking....in my opinion I don't see the purpose in using synthetic oil unless you've done some engine work
In a high mileage engine, just switch to a thicker viscosity and maybe use an oil additive

cajun

Reaction score
What other oil is cheaper and comparable to Mobil 1 synth? I'm not doing $7/qt any more.

Keep checking your level, but IMHO it's no problem for you to run 7K miles with a full synth like Mobil 1. Even with dino you're good for 5K miles. Why are you paying $7/qt for Mobil 1? The last time I looked at Walmart you could buy the 5-quart jug for about $22. If you want to go cheaper you could go with Motorcraft synth blend. It gets great reviews on sites like bobistheoilguy.com and it's only $12 for 5 quarts.

dorkiedoode

Reaction score
Keep checking your level, but IMHO it's no problem for you to run 7K miles with a full synth like Mobil 1. Even with dino you're good for 5K miles. Why are you paying $7/qt for Mobil 1? The last time I looked at Walmart you could buy the 5-quart jug for about $22. If you want to go cheaper you could go with Motorcraft synth blend. It gets great reviews on sites like bobistheoilguy.com and it's only $12 for 5 quarts.

agreed. 3k oil change is wasting oil. I usually go 4-5k on Dino and 6-7k on synthetic.

fothermucker

Reaction score
Since my original reply I've had the timing belt and water pump service done, had the valves adjusted, replaced all other belts, cleaned IACV and intake. Also replaced valve cover, IACV, intake and throttle body gaskets.

My last oil and filter change was 8/29/09 and have since put ~1100 miles on the car. Checked my oil yesterday and it was black, barely touching the bottom of the dipstick. I'm an aggressive driver but rarely rev past 3.5K. I occasionally smell oil when a stop light - no smoke is evident under any RPM.

Guessing I should add qt. or two and get a compression test...

Back