Honda needs to step up the game!!!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
The Accord is built to compete with the Camry, Altima, Malibu, Fusion, Chrysler "200", etc. It's not meant to compete with G37, GS, Genesis, Avalon, etc. If Honda built a car to compete in the latter classes, they'd be stepping on Acura's toes. That's the whole point of having Acura as higher tier brand, to keep Honda more affordable and economical. At least that's how it started. BUT...seeing as how that's how Toyota/Nissan USE to be...and now they build higher tier cars like the Avalon/Maxima and still have Lexus/Infinity above that...I can see an argument for Honda to make a car one step above the Accord that's NOT an Acura.

But if you look at the 9GA, Honda has moved it upscale a bit, and made it bigger as Ryan said. Have you sat in the Accord EX Touring or Sport or driven one? The car maxes out at around $32.5k and is pretty nice. And with a 6spd and near 300hp, the Accord really isn't what it use to be anymore.

Imo what Honda needs is an AWD or RWD car above the Accord. But they won't do it because all the venom has been let out of the snake. They're not about exciting cars anymore really. They're about smart, economical, and dependable cars now. But the new Accord sedan/coupe Sports are a step in the right direction.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Personally, I thought Acura was Honda's answer the Lexus, Infinity and entry level BMW's and MBs

Also, remember years ago before the altima was created, The accord was in direct comparison with the Maxima (remember that aquare maxima of the 80's...LOL) and the Camry.
Then I believe in 92 or 93 The altima was made. Then it blew off from there
The maxima was getting bigger and badder, so Toyota came out with the RWD Cressida
Personally, I liked that car but I guess Toyota didnt too muck.
So they crapped that and brought in the Avalon.
Since then it's been somewhat about those two in comparison Leaving the accord to battle with the Altima.

mrnude

Reaction score
The Accord is built to compete with the Camry, Altima, Malibu, Fusion, Chrysler "200", etc. It's not meant to compete with G37, GS, Genesis, Avalon, etc. If Honda built a car to compete in the latter classes, they'd be stepping on Acura's toes. That's the whole point of having Acura as higher tier brand, to keep Honda more affordable and economical. At least that's how it started. BUT...seeing as how that's how Toyota/Nissan USE to be...and now they build higher tier cars like the Avalon/Maxima and still have Lexus/Infinity above that...I can see an argument for Honda to make a car one step above the Accord that's NOT an Acura.

But if you look at the 9GA, Honda has moved it upscale a bit, and made it bigger as Ryan said. Have you sat in the Accord EX Touring or Sport or driven one? The car maxes out at around $32.5k and is pretty nice. And with a 6spd and near 300hp, the Accord really isn't what it use to be anymore.

Imo what Honda needs is an AWD or RWD car above the Accord. But they won't do it because all the venom has been let out of the snake. They're not about exciting cars anymore really. They're about smart, economical, and dependable cars now. But the new Accord sedan/coupe Sports are a step in the right direction.

don't think no car maker really makes exciting cars only ones I can think of are STI,Evo,Genesis, BRZ and FRS, that are affordable at least.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Imo what Honda needs is an AWD or RWD car above the Accord. But they won't do it because all the venom has been let out of the snake. They're not about exciting cars anymore really. They're about smart, economical, and dependable cars now.

I must agree
Also
If their competitors can be smart and sporty, Honda should be able to do so as well.
Seems like they just dont want to take a risk

Simkid5614

Reaction score
That's the thing...They dont have to do either.
Just make a new platform to complete with the Maxima and so forth.
If it flunks...Oh well.
Cant do any worse than the Crosstour

Imagine a Honda (HONDA/NOT ACURA) That's larger than the Accord and shorter than the RL, with a V6 cranking out about 330-350HP
THen they can look at nissan and Toyota and say....CHECKMATE

LOL

Lol and mate it to the original tranny and have it fail. and match the 6GA AT. lol

Xxtankinover

Reaction score
personally i think the s2k and rsx or cars similar to that should still be on but thats ecause i prefer those cars lol. but its obviously what the market is asking for and fast sports cars are dying out and going green and family luxury cars are taking over even mitsubishi retired alot of platforms now briging in small electric cars like the smart cars and even making the evo a hybrid smh. honda should be like nissan and have like lets say 370z and g27 type cars that keep us happy lol .

LeAccord

Reaction score
Well in Australia we get a couple of your Acura cars sold as Hondas'.

We have the Honda Legend with SH-AWD (Acura RL) and Accord Euro (TSX).

However not many people buy the Legend as its priced about the same as most entry level Mercedes, BMWs, Audis' etc.. $80-90k :ugh: and so to most people, they'd think, "why get a Honda when I can get a nice luxury European car ?"

I just looked at the new range of Acuras and I'm quite jealous lol. Also our new Honda Legend doesn't look nearly as sharp as the new acura RL replacement, the RLX. :sad: But my point is .. Honda, at least in Australia, do offer an AWD vehicle, a level above the Accord. But at a much higher price ...

Last edited:

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
I'm just thinking, Instead of wasting a production line with the crosstour, They should have used it to create a flagship sedan with the Honda badging to compete directly with the maxima & Avalon.

Latest posts

Back