How to use Seafoam

Fuzz

Reaction score
DON'T PUT ADDITIVES IN YOUR OIL... EVER.

Seafoam is a Solvent, just like Gasoline, or Acetone. Try running your engine with half a can on gas in your engine and yea, the engine will be REAL clean. But you will quickly notice that things are rattling, because you've washed the bearing and seals.

Goodbye engine, trust me... I know. I killed engines in under 1,000 miles.

The only REAL way to clean an engine is the good old fashion way. Take off the parts, clean em, and put them back on. I just got done scrubbing the top of my pistons on my used block. Need to get it real clean before I rebuild the engine.

No Seafoam or any other cleaner is going to remove the carbon deposits from the top of the engine. Best thing you can do is buy a catch-can and disconnect your PCV and run it there. It's amazing the amount of oil you will find at the bottom of the intake manifold.

Badook

Reaction score
How about long long term affects, like said above it is a solvent... seals dont like solvents. My Motor has 270 k on it and I am building another engine a the moment and I would hate to have a 3/4 built engine and a blown one in the car. Just the normal concerns come to mind. I agree with the right way to clean an engine is to take it apart and clean it. Of course thats not an every 10,000 mile project but if your in there cleaning might as well do a full rebuild in my eyes. If Seafoam really does work as well as it seems and gets some extra life out of my motor im totally up for it.

finch13

Reaction score
SeaFoam is made of petroleum distillates. If anything, it's gonna swell the seals a bit and make them tighter.

And Fuzz, I totally understand where you're coming from with washing the bearings and yes, SeaFoam is a solvent, but if you do it correctly and only run the engine for 20 minutes or whatever, then change the oil I think you'd be fine. I know from a technical standpoint, you shouldn't add anything to any fluids, but think about how many GM 60º pushrod V6 engines have been run well over 25,000 miles with a mocha milkshake timebomb in them. Not to mention, it can be a quick fix for things like collapsed lifters and the like where the top end would need to be torn down to repair.

Last edited:

Badook

Reaction score
SeaFoam is made of petroleum distillates. If anything, it's gonna swell the seals a bit and make them tighter.

Gotcha, I have a rear main leak and with the miles on the motor ive decided to deal with a drip every now and then till the new motor is finished. Turning a drip to a pour is the last thing i want to deal with.

finch13

Reaction score
Good point. Is there any reason you think your engine needs to be SeaFoamed? If it runs and you've got a fresh engine on the way, might be best to just leave it.

Badook

Reaction score
There isnt a must have need, I am seeing people say its increased gas mileage and power. I have plenty of power but Im floating around the 28 mpg on the hwy and if I cruize control it. I just want to squeeze every last bit I can out of this motor. I run the motor pretty hard still. Like today I drove 1100 miles and 35% of the time it was to the floor.
Thanks for the input on that, Maybe when I get a rough idle or my mileage start to drop I will look into it.

Last edited:

Nismode

Reaction score
Greddy, I have the same camera. I need an oil change anyway, think i'll pick up a can, and do a third in the line, the gas tank, and the oil. Prob let it sit off for about 15 minutes, rev it for a bit, drive a few miles, then get the oil changed.

finch13

Reaction score
There isnt a must have need, I am seeing people say its increased gas mileage and power. I have plenty of power but Im floating around the 28 mpg on the hwy and if I cruize control it. I just want to squeeze every last bit I can out of this motor. I run the motor pretty hard still. Like today I drove 1100 miles and 35% of the time it was to the floor.
Thanks for the input on that, Maybe when I get a rough idle or my mileage start to drop I will look into it.

Well, I'm at 219,000 on my motor, I run it hard every single day, often run it 2 qts. low on oil, but I still get 30mpg and I've never had any significiant problems. No seafoam either!

Back