How to use Seafoam

jwong512

Reaction score
I'm not sure that is good idea put the seafoam to oil...

The seafoam company has tested it and it is safe. I put it in my oil once and my car is running fine 2000 miles later. When I put it in my oil and ran it for a very very short period of time, such as 5 miles, the oil that was drained out contained a lot of sludge. So basically, my engine should be pretty clean now due to the Seafoam. It's not recommended to do it often though considering how acidic it is but it doesn't hurt to do it every major tune up.

finch13

Reaction score
For the record, SeaFoam is not an acid. It is a solvent made of petroleum distillates so it will dissolve things that are also petroleum based, like wax, varnish, sludge, etc.

There are 2 very real dangers of using the product:
1) When used in the oil it can wash the bearings of oil aka can spin the bearings dry and cause them to spin.

2) Chunks of sludge can be knocked free and block oil passages. Can run bearings or valvetrain dry and ruin bearing.

I seafoamed my car today for the first time... no real noticeable difference, as expected. $7 mechanic-in-a-can :lawl:

LX_F23A1

Reaction score
I seafoamed my car today for the first time... no real noticeable difference, as expected. $7 mechanic-in-a-can :lawl:

Did you pour some into the gas tank?

My injectors were muffed up, and it helped cleaning them.

LX_F23A1

Reaction score
its always fun, especially in chicago where you have car illiterate people who, think your burning oil lol.

Back