I4 to a V6

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
another part of the problems for the v6 auto, which i was told this by a tech at my work, is that the 2nd gear doesnt get enough tranny fluid up around the top. he said some of the problems hes seen were the gears rubbing the tranny case and overheated parts and such. so its not just heat thats the problem, but i have heard that the cooler does help a little.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
In california you can swap your engine for another engine from a production car newer than yours. So technically you could swap a bwm v10 from the new M5 if you could get it to work. That's why H22 swaps are technically illegal on say my car, which is an 02. Oh, it has to fit under the same emmissions bracket as well, i believe. Anyway, just letting you know that you don't have to swap an engine that came stock with the car. Call CHP or check them on the net for more info.

As for swaping a v6. Buy a v6. It's going to be cheaper. Even if you want to swap a cls v6, it's going to take far less work on a v6 car. Around here, there is little difference in price between a i4 and a v6 so if you sell high and buy low, you could easily come out even.

cg6boi

Reaction score
it was just a good price and it had me thinking thats all, i was told by the CHP ref that in order to have a vehicle pass with a swap it has to be of the same production year, it just makes it that mich easier if its from the same vehicle, and i like the easy route. And i would never swap a german motor into my car, no offense to you all who like german automakers its just that i dont trust anythink but japanese automobiles.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I'd check with CHP again becasue it does not have to be from the same production year.

From their site-
Certification Standards
Make sure the engine and emission control configuration on exhaust - controlled vehicles are certified to the year of the vehicle or newer, and to the same or a more stringent new vehicle certification standard.'

I understand you would not swap a german engine, i'm just saying you could assuming it had the same emmisions bracket.

It's not by any means the easy way however. It's not impossible but not bolt in either. Buying a V6 will be much cheaper and will be done right.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
the engine would have to be a OBDII computer system and would have to be from your cars year of production OR NEWER to be a legal swap into your car. say you have a 99 accord, you can put any motor years 1999 and up into your car and it would be legal.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Bottom line, it's not worth it.
And only to gain 50hp. (unless you do a CL-S swap)
Cheaper (and probably more reliable) to built or boost the F23

talontsiawd

Reaction score
blacknight said:
Bottom line, it's not worth it.
And only to gain 50hp. (unless you do a CL-S swap)
Cheaper (and probably more reliable) to built or boost the F23
In cali it's hard to get away since there really arn't carb legal options (that i know of). But it's more the fact taht a V6 swap isn't really a "feasable" swap. It can be done, i'm sure, but the cost difference from buying a v6 makes it totally illogical.

kulrevon

Reaction score
The 6th gen accords weather I4 or V6 were the same engine bays. it was the 5th gen that had a longer nose for the v6.

It might have different hook ups for p/s and a/c but it is the same chassis.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
kulrevon said:
The 6th gen accords weather I4 or V6 were the same engine bays. it was the 5th gen that had a longer nose for the v6.

It might have different hook ups for p/s and a/c but it is the same chassis.
While the engine bays might be the same in terms of physical size (i don't know if the fender wells etc are indentical), you have so many things to deal with. Just starting with the motor mounts, getting everything to fit like oem is going to be a challenge. Then you have to mount all your acessories, etc. I don't think anyone is saying it can't be done. It's just not a good idea at all financially. A v6 isn't much more expensive. I'm sure most of us with an I4 could easily get a v6 if we wanted with similar miles. Sell high buy low. That's the issue. Why pay $5000 or whatever for all the fabrication when you can just switch to a v6 and swap your parts over.

Back