I'm going j35

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
J32a2 is 7k. J32a1 may be 6700. J35a3/a4...search on V6P, I'm sure it's been discussed.

Last edited:

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
Why is the j35a3 so much more expensive then the a4?

not sure. However, I do know for a fact the J35A3 block is about $140 more than a J32A2 block. It has a slightly different casting since it is in the 01-02 MDX that is all wheel drive. NVA-AV6 was going to use a J32A2 block but they were back ordered, So we had to order a J35A3 block and that is when he told me its gonna be more.

Also Wikipedia says that the a3 has better specs then the a4 is that true, just verifying Wikipedias info?

hp/tq specs?

The J35A3/A4 are the same internally. The difference is in the ECU "tuning" from the factory. They are set up to run rich in order to run a long time(mileage wise).
These engines can put out a bit more HP/TQ when paired with a piggyback unit(tuned of course) compared to the OEM ECU Factory tune.

Now, when you are talking about swapping either one into an Accord, you can "mix and match" per say.

For example:
I have a J35A3 set up, heads and all. But I don't use the Acura MDX ECU. I use an 03 CL-s 5 speed Automatic tranny ECU. You could also use the ECU from the 02-04 Odyssey or 01-03 TL/TL-s.
Either of those ECU's would run the engine and control and automatic tranny equally well. But, your total HP-TQ output could differ from ECU to ECU.
However, this changes one you throw on a piggyback unit for tuning.

I guess my point would be:
It doesn't matter which one you pick up. Once you throw a piggyback on it and tune it, the ECU factory tune is going away because the AEM FIC will control the injector and timing all the time. Also, your going to lean out the AFR and gain some HP/TQ there also.

DISCLAIMER:
i'm not an expert, this is my noob-a$$ understanding of how it works.

Last edited:

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
Why is the j35a3 so much more expensive then the a4?

not sure. However, I do know for a fact the J35A3 block is about $140 more than a J32A2 block. It has a slightly different casting since it is in the 01-02 MDX that is all wheel drive. NVA-AV6 was going to use a J32A2 block but they were back ordered, So we had to order a J35A3 block and that is when he told me its gonna be more.

Also Wikipedia says that the a3 has better specs then the a4 is that true, just verifying Wikipedias info?

hp/tq specs?

The J35A3/A4 are the same internally. The difference is in the ECU "tuning" from the factory. They are set up to run rich in order to run a long time(mileage wise).
These engines can put out a bit more HP/TQ when paired with a piggyback unit(tuned of course) compared to the OEM ECU Factory tune.

Now, when you are talking about swapping either one into an Accord, you can "mix and match" per say.

For example:
I have a J35A3 set up, heads and all. But I don't use the Acura MDX ECU. I use an 03 CL-s 5 speed Automatic tranny ECU. You could also use the ECU from the 02-04 Odyssey or 01-03 TL/TL-s.
Either of those ECU's would run the engine and control and automatic tranny equally well. But, your total HP-TQ output could differ from ECU to ECU.
However, this changes one you throw on a piggyback unit for tuning.

I guess my point would be:
It doesn't matter which one you pick up. Once you throw a piggyback on it and tune it, the ECU factory tune is going away because the AEM FIC will control the injector and timing all the time. Also, your going to lean out the AFR and gain some HP/TQ there also.

DISCLAIMER:
i'm not an expert, this is my noob-a$$ understanding of how it works.

Thanks man. I intend on building my engine before the drop. New pullys, RL pistons for the 11:1 compression ratio and not sure what else I should go for. I don't want to spend a lot but I want the best performance for the buck haha. Maybe a turbo down the road but let's not jump the gun here haha. I plan on using richies harness? Would i still need the stock ecu and wiring harness? I'm am now confused.

Edit: can I use OBX headers for the j30/32 on the 35? I have brand new ones sitting in my room still in bubble wrap.
Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
Thanks man. I intend on building my engine before the drop. New pullys, RL pistons for the 11:1 compression ratio and not sure what else I should go for. I don't want to spend a lot but I want the best performance for the buck haha. Maybe a turbo down the road but let's not jump the gun here haha. I plan on using richies harness? Would i still need the stock ecu and wiring harness? I'm am now confused.

Edit: can I use OBX headers for the j30/32 on the 35? I have brand new ones sitting in my room still in bubble wrap.

if youre going to turbo it, building it for high compression is a stupid move.​

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
Thanks man. I intend on building my engine before the drop. New pullys, RL pistons for the 11:1 compression ratio and not sure what else I should go f

if youre going to turbo it, building it for high compression is a stupid move.

I said maybe...I doubt I'd want to sink in the money into it since I won't be able to drive it for a year at a time since Im committed to a military college.

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
.....I plan on using richies harness? Would i still need the stock ecu and wiring harness? I'm am now confused.

Richies harness should be used IF you are using an ECU that is for Automatic tranny, and you have a manual tranny mated to your engine.

If you do the entire swap, by this I mean 100% manual set up, you don't need it.

Yes.

Tek_Rice

Reaction score

Do yourself a favor.... sign up for an account at V6p.net and start reading some of the articles and threads concerning these builds. Some of your questions/statements are...... uninformed. Read on it before you start throwing out ideas and questions please. Just this post shows you have little to no clue what you are getting yourself into.

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
Thanks man. I intend on building my engine before the drop. New pullys, RL pistons for the 11:1 compression ratio and not sure what else I should go f

Do yourself a favor.... sign up for an account at V6p.net and start reading some of the articles and threads concerning these builds. Some of your questions/statements are...... uninformed. Read on it before you start throwing out ideas and questions please. Just this post shows you have little to no clue what you are getting yourself into.

I have one and I've been reading it like crazy. Just trying to understand this. I've been looking at the j32a2 for a couple of months and i know all about that engine. The j35 I know zero about.

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
.... I've been looking at the j32a2 for a couple of months and i know all about that engine. The j35 I know zero about.

Block internally is the same

Same heads with the exception of the intake valves:
A2 head has 36mm intake valve vs 35mm on A3.

Same intake manifold; 3.2 has the IMRC butterfly 3.5 does not. Same lower runners, Same injectors..

so, you already kow about the J35 if you know the J32.

pop quiz for Halabeaster54!!!
How do we achieve the 3.5 litre displacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back