Is it too late for my transmission?

raqueno

Reaction score
Earlier today I was driving to the gym and had been cruising at around 70km/h, then suddenly the accord suddenly downshifts into first from what I'm assuming was fourth. The car then suddenly starts slipping, and would not gear into first at all. I was forced to pull over and had let the car sit for a minute or so and pushed it into D4 and had rolled. The car slipped hard and had jerked like it had stalled. I later then put it into 1 and it was rolling as if nothing happened. Concerned I parked and upon the way out I had to reverse and my reverse was gone. The transmission has been slipping for the past while and has not really jerked before though. On the way back home my car was stuck in first gear and did not shift at all.

My question is if there is anything I could do that could make it temporarily work for the meantime, or is my transmission completely toast?

Any help is appreciated

The accord is at 255K, V6 Coupe

Last edited:

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
I could be wrong. So hopefully I wont get flammed if I'm wrong.

But it could be a number of things. Shift linkage, pressure plate failure, loss of the clutches for the affected gears. Overall whatever it is sounds like a major failure.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
All of our transmissions are toast. Yea i generalized that. Having said that, it could be a solenoid or your clutch packs, either way swapping a manual into it or actually getting a different car would be your best bet. If your looking to just fix it then I would try the clutch packs first.

001Stunna

Reaction score
All of our transmissions are toast. Yea i generalized that. Having said that, it could be a solenoid or your clutch packs, either way swapping a manual into it or actually getting a different car would be your best bet. If your looking to just fix it then I would try the clutch packs first.

Have it scanned with an OBD2 code scanner as chances are its throwing a code for the issue its having to. Only little things you can do is make sure there is still fluid in there and it didnt drain somehow, make sure all plugs are connection and nothing has gone loose/broken.

raqueno

Reaction score
I could be wrong. So hopefully I wont get flammed if I'm wrong.

But it could be a number of things. Shift linkage, pressure plate failure, loss of the clutches for the affected gears. Overall whatever it is sounds like a major failure.

Thank you for putting your two cents in, any advice is appreciated at this point. Will be taking this to a mechanic to check out the points mentioned. Hopefully it is not a major failure though :D

RackedOut said:

Yep, I wish I was aware of that before I had gone an purchased it lol.
My car is the V6, sorry for forgetting to disclose that. A swap to a 6-speed is not near my price range right now haha. I am looking at getting a fix so I could go to work and school atleast, then getting the problem fixed with a rebuild all together. I will be looking for a DIY for the clutch packs right now, thank you. :147703263745b138a51

001Stunna said:
Have it scanned with an OBD2 code scanner as chances are its throwing a code for the issue its having to. Only little things you can do is make sure there is still fluid in there and it didnt drain somehow, make sure all plugs are connection and nothing has gone loose/broken.

I will be definitely bringing it in to get my CEL checked, I will take a look at the fluid levels tomorrow, can't believe I forgot to take a look at that :thinking:
Another thing I had forgotten to mention as well, I had recently done the DRL module fix but must've done it incorrectly as I am still going through the issue, I had kicked the box as that usually turns on the DRL light (stupid, but works, never had issues), I had checked the wiring for loose connections to the main relay but nothing. Could I have possibly damaged it in any sort? The kicking was just light and I had only hit the wire gently, more of a tap than a kick actually.

Last edited:

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
If it is a major failure, and needs a complete rebuild, swapping to a 6 speed at that point is around the same price.

raqueno

Reaction score
If it is a major failure, and needs a complete rebuild, swapping to a 6 speed at that point is around the same price.

Really? I recall the transmission itself being atleast $300 used, labour as well as all the other parts such as Richies Harness would add up to around ~$1500 from what I've calculated
Unsure of how much rebuilds cost but I believe it should be less than $1000

Hoping you could prove me wrong I would love that and definitely consider a 6 speed :lolrun:

001Stunna

Reaction score
I will be definitely bringing it in to get my CEL checked, I will take a look at the fluid levels tomorrow, can't believe I forgot to take a look at that :thinking:
Another thing I had forgotten to mention as well, I had recently done the DRL module fix but must've done it incorrectly as I am still going through the issue, I had kicked the box as that usually turns on the DRL light (stupid, but works, never had issues), I had checked the wiring for loose connections to the main relay but nothing. Could I have possibly damaged it in any sort? The kicking was just light and I had only hit the wire gently, more of a tap than a kick actually.

For the DRL, reopen and actually resolder all joints.
For the tranny issue, where in toronto are you?
As for a rebuld...you're looking at 1000-1500 probably around here.

raqueno

Reaction score
Yeah, rebuild is more than $1000 haha usually by quite a bit.

Maybe it was for a used "jdm" tranny where I would have to take a risk, and have someone install totaling that price? :eh: I think so now.. haha

For the DRL, reopen and actually resolder all joints.
For the tranny issue, where in toronto are you?
As for a rebuld...you're looking at 1000-1500 probably around here.

I only resoldered the joints that were brown, maybe that's where I went wrong.
I'm anywhere in Toronto, I don't mind bringing my car anywhere.
I will be considering Chi if the clutch packs do not work

Back