J30A AT to MT swap in the cards?

Lboogy*CnTX

Reaction score
Im so interested in this its ridiculous!!!! Haha... i remember when people would make electric supercharges from old vacuum motors!

jbl

Reaction score
Im so interested in this its ridiculous!!!! Haha... i remember when people would make electric supercharges from old vacuum motors!

Yeah...this is kind of awesome. I've always loved working with my hands and getting dirty, especially when it came to cars. I just didn't--and still don't--have the automotive knowledge to accomplish half of the things that these guys come up with. Here's an RX-7 with a working moonshine still going around the track...

http://murileemartin.com/wordpress/?p=1407

And check out Smokey Yunick if you've never heard of him before. He attempted (and maybe got close/finished) making a supercharger out of fins welded to the flywheel inside of the bellhousing. It was meant to be used to cheat in NASCAR originally (if I remember the story correctly).

And I'm up here in the Northeast. Thank you for the offer of the headers. Until/if(?) the engine comes out, I'm not touching those manifold bolts...all rusty and rounded...Im just asking for trouble on the firewall side of the engine.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Right, which is why I intially thought that going with a single 2" cherry bomb would give me close to the same backpressure as two outlets that were more restrictive...didn't want to go too high and certainly not too low. I didn't think about just gutting the cat outright though. Still, my concern lies with the ECU and the O2 sensor...I just want them all to play nice with eachother. I suppose emptying out the cat and leaving the O2 sensor in there would be OK.

We are required to have a muffler, but some of the cars passing tech were WAAAAY louder than us...I think we can get away with a lot more noise at this point.

Gutting the cat will not "clean" what's passing through it which may still trigger the sensor, thus triggering a CEL. But it wouldn't hurt anything until long term to run the car that way, I think. So yes it would be okay. Or you could delete the cat altogether but use a test pipe in its place, then straight pipe the exhaust but use a resonator or two.

None of this will help in the low end, but you may see a few more mph's on the high end.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
The test pipe is still for sale on V6P?

Test pipe is available on ebay, not sure how reliable it is though.

jbl

Reaction score
Gutting the cat will not "clean" what's passing through it which may still trigger the sensor, thus triggering a CEL. But it wouldn't hurt anything until long term to run the car that way, I think. So yes it would be okay. Or you could delete the cat altogether but use a test pipe in its place, then straight pipe the exhaust but use a resonator or two.

None of this will help in the low end, but you may see a few more mph's on the high end.

WAAAAYYY beyond CELs. The engine runs well and honestly, if this car was painted back up with the interior back in and taken to Walmart, I truly don't believe anyone would know this thing just ran 700+ miles wide open. However, the dashboard is lit up like a Christmas tree. SRS is on obviously (airbags were removed), CEL is on, Maint. Req'd is on and at points, the CEL flashed furiously at us. The stock dash gauges showed nothing funny going on, but removing the front bumper (which we kind of wanted to do anyway for the engine and brakes) seemed to keep the flashing CEL from returning.

I know we've upset this computer. I don't have the means of testing it myself (I guess a simple OBDII is enough?) but I know she's pissed. I'm sure checking the codes is going to be one of our better starts.

Anyone have a preferred tester for this vehicle? Then I can come back with what is likely to be a laundry list of codes.

A "test pipe"? To the Google...

jbl

Reaction score
^haha. Well then, no worries.

Has the D4 light blinked at you yet?

Had to search for what the D4 light even was, so I guess not. Nothing like what I'm reading about when I searched "D4 light" happened to us. Definitely not feeling like I'm getting 100% out of it, but certainly not what they're describing in those threads either.

Back