led instrument cluster?

Hlover

Reaction score
blindside said:
Did you want something like this?

DSCN0571.jpg

yea man that look great is that your car? and if it is how did you do that?

Hlover

Reaction score
Totalimmortal said:
superbrightleds.com. I'll get the list of what I bought for my gauges once I get back from shopping.

hey bro if you could do that for me I will appreciate it a lot. Also can you please do a quick DIY that way I can learn how to do it. thanks

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
immortal has red (i think?). from what i was told, by the owner of ledautomotive.com, orange/amber LEDs are a little hard to come by and a little hard to make, theyre pretty rare he told me. ive seen them around tho, just not as much ad all the other normal colors.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Amber leds are rare, hard to find and usually look worse than incandecnt bulbs in comparison, especially for automotive use, or anything that needs a wide pattern.

Superbrightleds are the ****. They arn't the cheapest but they are cheap enough, great service, super fast, and good selection.

For the cluster i used some 194 wedge bulbs. They have 5 led's, one that faces forward, 4 to the side. Work great. I still had to add some led's but i did white, probably one of the hardest colors to deal with. I did do a DIY but it goes way beyond what you need to do for blue (white has issues, lol). It doesn't cover the basics.

Anyway, the cluster is the easiest part to deal with. If you don't want to figure it out, ledautomotive.com sells kits. You pay for information though more than a product. If you are clueless, which many people are, it's a good thing. Especialy when you want everything else to match. If you have some skills with a multimeter, calculator and a soldering iron, there are much cheaper alternatives. I did 90% of my bulbs for less than it would cost to do my guage cluster, including domelights, etc.

blindside

Reaction score
Hlover said:
yea man that look great is that your car? and if it is how did you do that?

Yeah it was my accord when i still had it, i got the bulbs from ledautomotive.com then i had to clear out the paint on the needles using cotton swabs with paint remover or acetone might work too. And just like what everyone says here removing the cluster is the easiest part to do.. :thumbsup:

vysuperman

Reaction score
talontsiawd said:
Amber leds are rare, hard to find and usually look worse than incandecnt bulbs in comparison, especially for automotive use, or anything that needs a wide pattern.

Superbrightleds are the ****. They arn't the cheapest but they are cheap enough, great service, super fast, and good selection.

For the cluster i used some 194 wedge bulbs. They have 5 led's, one that faces forward, 4 to the side. Work great. I still had to add some led's but i did white, probably one of the hardest colors to deal with. I did do a DIY but it goes way beyond what you need to do for blue (white has issues, lol). It doesn't cover the basics.

Anyway, the cluster is the easiest part to deal with. If you don't want to figure it out, ledautomotive.com sells kits. You pay for information though more than a product. If you are clueless, which many people are, it's a good thing. Especialy when you want everything else to match. If you have some skills with a multimeter, calculator and a soldering iron, there are much cheaper alternatives. I did 90% of my bulbs for less than it would cost to do my guage cluster, including domelights, etc.

for the gauge cluster, what else did you use the #74 led bulbs for besides the odometer? and also which #74's did u get from superbrightleds.com http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...ct=CAR&keywords=&cart_id=1678417.9710&next=50
they have 3 listed near the bottom of the page: T1.5 Instrument LED bulb , B8.3D Instrument Cluster LED bulb, and the 74 Wedge Base LED bulb. (btw I'm looking to get the pale blue look that you had with your white led's in your writeup at first without messing w/ any of the filters/needles.) Thanks in advance

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I used the B8.3D Instrument Cluster LED bulb. The white isn't that good though. Different colors will probably be fine, white can really vary from different led's. If you are planning on white, its a bit too purple. I also go blue for the toplighting, same size, same bulb. Very nice blue.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Someone needs to try the black light ones btw. If i have to make an order, i think i'm going to buy one or two 194 bulbs for fun.

Back