LEDautomotive clock bulb

dadams

Reaction score
I just got my new bulb in and I searched if anyone had this same problem and I found one but nobody ever answered him so I figure I'll ask again.

I put my bulb in, I tried every which way, and still nothing. It just doesnt want to light up. Is it a possibility my clock is gone completely or am I just doing something wrong on this seemingly easy fix?

thanks for the help

i had the same problem, i even got another clock to see if it was something wrong with my clock, i just took it as a loss and kept it moving. but if anyone does figure it out plz let us know

dorkiedoode

Reaction score
one word. Multimeter :]

with the clock plugged in check to see if there is voltage. if so move on to the led.

try to power the led with a 12v source, if they light and the clock has voltage then you know its an installation error. the multimeter should have a [>|] function to test diodes too.
if the led does not light then the led is defective.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
When I have the clock still plugged into the harness but pulled from the dash, I can look through the slits in the plastic and see that the LED is on. But the screen is barely illuminated.

dorkiedoode

Reaction score
When I have the clock still plugged into the harness but pulled from the dash, I can look through the slits in the plastic and see that the LED is on. But the screen is barely illuminated.

I see, do you have a picture?

its possible the led might be dim because its not receiving enough voltage. we can eliminate this by using a multimeter to see if the clock is outputting 12V.

99accord boi

Reaction score
ok the clock lights up wen the key is in the on position
also i was right, the alum foil fixed it but i forgot to take pics
ill take apart my clock tomorrow and post pics for juu guys

metrick1235

Reaction score
have you tried the 9volt battery trick.. if it doesnt light up with the wires touching the 9volt.. its a bad bulb... if it does look at your clock and make sure its getting a good connection..

99accord boi

Reaction score
aight i took pics
DSC02045.jpg

this is why these leds dont work the led is too long for the frosted piece of plastic to catch light to diffuse light evenly across the clock

to fix this all u need to do take apart the clock
DSC02040.jpg

remove the white platic cover
DSC02043.jpg

then remove the four screws (i took the hazzard switch out for more space)
DSC02048.jpg

once the screws are removed separate the circuit board from the clock housing
DSC02047.jpg

now pull all of the clock screens away until ur left with this and neatly slide a piece of alum foil inside the slit like so
now put everything back together and enjoy the greatly improved light output
hope this helps
rep pts will be greatly apreciated :peace:

Ofnir107

Reaction score
I just finished adding the foil and it made a big difference. The entire clock is lit up. There is a very small dark spot to the right of the last number that is a bit darker then the rest of the clock. I think that's a result of the bulb block the light that is being reflected from the foil. Or it might be because I'm running an amber LED. But it's not big enough for me to cause a problem. It's better than nothing. I'm FINALLY DONE with my LED conversion now. :thumbsup:

A side note: I accidentally left the light filter in on the first attempt so make sure you remember to take that out. I didn't take a picture because my camera quality is so crappy you wouldn't be able to tell it from the stock lighting.

Back