Look what just arrived at work...

finch13

Reaction score
I've seen the Canon 10-22 as low as $579 on POTN and Adorama used inventory.

Hmm... when I have a spare $600 I'll have to look into that... or drive to your house and steal yours! Mwa hahahahaha

that grip looks like a total design afterthought down the line, im toying with the thought of picking up a 40D just to play with and see what happens. but id need the grip. and a 5D is just a little more...

Haha, yeah, yeah it does. It feels like it was meant to be there though. Function > form.

50D and 5D we're well out of my price range and you know I wanted another camera sooner than later and this should carry me through 5 years, just like the 300D did for me. Plus, the 50D isn't much of a performance bump either. IQ > MP's

Why get a 5D, doesn't Pentax make something close in performance?

LOL. where's all your telephoto lens! nothing but wide-angles. sucks to be you walking up close to a person to take a picture. :eusa_drool:

edit_actually no, you can get up close to a hot girl. ;]

Click the link in my sig, there you will see all my gear. Those lens are just what I want next.

Wide angle + hot girl = amazing wide angle coverage of teh :leeann:

Nice pickup man, go take some pics!

Thanks, I'm already taking a road trip to Lake Superior next weekend to test it out.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
Haha, yeah, yeah it does. It feels like it was meant to be there though. Function > form.

50D and 5D we're well out of my price range and you know I wanted another camera sooner than later and this should carry me through 5 years, just like the 300D did for me. Plus, the 50D isn't much of a performance bump either. IQ > MP's

Why get a 5D, doesn't Pentax make something close in performance?
mmmmmm i love my grip :boink:
4105873_30ffc88f02.jpg

i agree...the 50D doesnt look that special...

pentax's position is that theyre going to focus on aps-c and are introducing a digital 6x4.5cm camera. reading between the lines, they're going to put off "full frame" since only a couple of oem lenses are ff compatiable. but in lieu of that, they are becoming "the" choice for outdoor photographers on a budget, and have the most value : dollar of all manufacturers.

also reading between the lines...this means they'll focus on performance, AF improvements, durability, etc instead of using all their R&D funds on sensors.

the 14.6MP samsung in the k20d is very good and beats the 40d in some tests...so theyll probably re-use that in the next camera (k30?).

getting an eos again would give me a bigger range of lenses to adapt and the high iso performance of the 5d would be great...but theres some features of pentax that i dont want to give up.

did i write that all? :ugh: not even through my coffee yet :ugh:

finch13

Reaction score
I agree with all the statements, but I have a question.

If most Pentax lenses are not full frame, what do they use on their 35mm cameras? Do they not have a large array of lenses for 35mm photogs?

I have a Pentax PZ-70 35mm and it's has a FF Tamron lens on it...

Is your 35mm a Canon? I'm assuming it is if you have a collection of Canon lenses...

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
pentax has begun to do the whole "optimized for digital" thing with the DA-series of lenses. only a couple of those (DA 40/2.8 limited "pancake" and DA 70/2.4 limited) work with FF as-is with no vignetting.

now...lots of pentax lenses are an older FF-design such as the DA 40 ltd since its based on the M 40/2.8 pancake from the 80s.

there are only like 4 FF lenses still in production...2 of them are ridiculous like made-to-order 600/4 and such. pentax has made 24 million lenses over the years, all of the usable with digital, every one except [most of] the DAs with full frame.

i dont have a canon cam right now but i do have a leftover EF lens from my 300d. right now i have 2 pentax k-mount slr's, 1 pentax dslr, 1 fuji screwmount slr, and 1 sears (ricoh) screwmount slr...among other things :lawl:

my whole reasoning behind getting a canon dslr is that i can adapt pretty much every manual lens mount to eos. with my pentaxes...im stuck with K mount and M42. with camera mount modding, i could use olympus OM and contax/yashica (aka most of the Zeiss lenses) but give up M42 use. with eos, a c/y adapter is common like an m42...

finch13

Reaction score
Ah, I understand now.... pretty soon I'm getting an $8 eBay Nikon F-to-Canon EF adapter... so I can use my buddies dad's Nikkor 200-400 f/4G :D

A little size comparison:
DSC01745.jpg

nikon1.jpg

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
adapters = possibilites

you have to use the lenses in Av or M modes, stop down metering, and manual focus...but oh well. i do that (save stop down metering) on auto lenses :lawl:

finch13

Reaction score
Yup, but using a $6k lens for free? Who could pass that up! I should in manual 90% of the time unless the subject is moving or I'm shooting the nifty fifty in low light.

I'll just borrow his handheld meter for exposure... I like having rich friends parents.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
actually, arent nikon G lenses electronic-only like canon ef and ef-s? all my lenses have an aperture ring on the bottom and i can use that. you shouldnt need a light meter if you use Av or M...you'd just have to compensate your EV+ value the more you stop down.

finch13

Reaction score
I have no clue, I don't really pay attention to Nikon, but I believe you're correct. My buddies 18-200 Nikkor and this 200-400 Nikkor don't have aperture rings, which I really miss from shooting with the Pentax.

Cannon FD-mount have aperture rings though! :boink:

EDIT: I was reading yesterday that there are a few lenses you can't use or something because the lens doesn't stop down until you take the picture... but Canon does this too. I need to find that article again...

EDIT 2: Found the article, Nikon DX lenses don't work, which I think the 18-200 is DX, but the 200-400 is not, since it's for his FF D3x.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fox-orian/2626443224/

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
if the lens doesnt have a ring, then it is electronic and will only stop down when the camera tells it to. the pentax K mount and M42 mount cameras keep the lens open and stop down only when the shutter opens.

when you put M42 lenses on a non-M42 body, the aperture pin is not depressed and the lens will stop down as you move the ring. this is how you meter, or at least get close since the camera will overexpose as you stop down.

my understanding is the for nikon F lenses to work, you need to look for pre-ai, ai, and ai-s lenses with the "rabbit ears"...number 1 in this pic
35AI-S2legendlow.JPG

Back