low idle and cel

nine23

Reaction score
I do want to add that this problem started when the temperature got warmer outside this spring and summer and gradually got worse.... the CEL has been there since I did the swap but it wasn't effecting anything and I just thought it was a faulty o2 sensor....

xci.ed6

Reaction score
The heater gets the sensor hot, faster.

The signal should be an odd wave form.

Check continuity of the signal wire, make sure the ecm actually gets it.

nine23

Reaction score
The heater gets the sensor hot, faster.

The signal should be an odd wave form.

Check continuity of the signal wire, make sure the ecm actually gets it.

probably a stupid question but am I checking this with the sensor hooked up or not.... when I got the voltage of the power that was from the plug without the sensor hooked up

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Either way.

Sensor unhooked tells you that it gets power.

Hooked up, 'back-probe', means it gets power AND enough. Sometimes you can have a wire thats f'd to one strand left. You still get power, but if there is ANY current, that drops like an anvil.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Oh, I skipped that 'cause that is -very- uncommon on Honda's (real ones, the sucky 'Passport' does not count).

As for your swap, I have not done one, hense questions like this. I do not know what you did, but the first step in solving any prob is figure out the 'known' ones first.

O2 sensors rarely cause low idle. Your now looking if it gets enough air (iacv) enough fuel (pres/inj) and spark.

nine23

Reaction score
I have replaced my IACV with a working one.... I also have replaced spark plugs, wires, cap and rotors, majority of vacuum hoses but still dont know... But basically your saying its pretty possible that the o2 sensor isn't the culpret

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Nope, I don't, if I knew I'd just tell ya. Just workin my way through, remotely.

nine23

Reaction score
ok so I am gonna get a new o2 sensor from the dealership hopefully tomorrow if they have it in stock but i did work on it a little today.... oroginally i had the vacuum hose running to the IAB box so I too the hose on the end of the IM and ran it directly to the IAB diaphram.... so started it up and still had the problem.... so I revved it a few times and discovered that when I give it short burst of high rpms the butterflies open up and the idle doesnt go down low... but if I gradually give it gas to a higher rpm then the butterflies dont open up and then its not getting as much air so it causes the low idle and possible stall!!! feels good to get closer but now i either need to figure out whats goin on or remove the butterflies, which research has said that i will lose a lot of lower end!

xci.ed6

Reaction score
What kinda iacv ya got?

If getting the correct signal, they can stop electrically, no fix, get a new one, or mechanically, ie: goop or corrosion in the bore. Corrosion = no fix. Goop, use carb cleaner. Aerosol. Whole can. Run w/ no intake tube, spurt in tb so it BARELY stays running, prolly have to have the key manned.

Odd, kinda, sometimes ocean-travel engines are like this, but I do my car every 3rd oil change er so.

Back