Lowered Car = Trade in Loss?

cliffsta

Reaction score
Anything modded to the dealership doesn't count towards value. The only mod you can have is probably a genuine honda part and possibly showing a receipt as well to show them the value. So say you do trade in your car you can probably get $3000 for your car and then they turn around and sell your car for like $8000 because of the mods on it. So it's probably better to try to sell it privately.

I know that, what I'm saying is, are they gonna take away value because it isn't stock?

And I'm not gonna rush it but I've been waiting YEARS for a new car, waiting patiently. Patience has run dry LOL :action-smiley-042:

Kville02Accord

Reaction score
I know that, what I'm saying is, are they gonna take away value because it isn't stock?

And I'm not gonna rush it but I've been waiting YEARS for a new car, waiting patiently. Patience has run dry LOL :action-smiley-042:

I sold cars for a little while and to answer your question. Yes, they will tell you that it will be harder for them to sell a modified car, because a lot of people do not want a modified car. Your accord looks very nice and not slammed. I would see what they say, but look up your cars value on KBB. If they offer way under I would list your car on craigslist. I did that with me 01 Corolla that was slightly modified and sold it in 4 days. The good thing is with your car it looks nice for younger buyers, and their parents will see a Honda Accord that will be reliable and safe for their kid to drive. I will tell you though either route you go, make sure you clean it inside and out good. shampoo the carpet etc..... At the dealership if we inspected a used car trade in and saw it was dirty, we would tell the owner that we would have to spend X amount to detail it before we could sell it and lower the value on that too.

truWarier02

Reaction score
I'm thinking since our cars come so high from the factory, they'll probably assume it's stock.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
They will know it's lowered. I am on pro kits and people who don't know anything about cars ask me about my "lowered" car or say something about it.

I have never done a trade in so I can't really answer your question. However, do you have your stock springs/shocks (if you swapped your shocks)? If so, you can always negotiate that. You know what it costs to you so take what you want for your car, minus that $200. If they feel differently, spend that $200 and go back. I know that is hard when you are buying a new car but I have bought two cars for an unreasonably low price by walking away (it wasn't exactly my intention to buy either, but they became affordable enough for me to do so).

I will say that when I was buying my Accord, they were taking quite a bit off of a V6 I was looking at because of the fact it had aftermarket wheels and exhaust. I don't know if they discounted it off the bat or that nobody was buying it but they subtracted $1,500 off the sticker price in the window and made sure I knew that I was getting it cheaper. The rims were not bad but not particularly attractive and the exhaust was just welded on mufflers (not CARB legal, they shouldn't have been selling it that way), but $1500 was off the price. This was in 03 and the car was really clean and low mileage, lease trade in. Not sure if it was Certified or could be, for that matter. An equivalent V6 was about $1500 more.

Again, never traded in a car so I really don't know, that's just what I saw at a Honda dealer when our cars where pretty close to new. At a regular used car lot, you see them trying to either up the price, or at least play up the "premium features" if you look interested. On older cars, I rarely see much of a difference in price from a used dealer unless the modifications are extremely low end (ebayed out Hyundai's and the like).

cliffsta

Reaction score
Well just to bring closure to this thread...

This dealer told me they generally give the same amount for any car old as mine, but they gave me significantly more because it was clean inside and out very thoroughly (by me). They said they sell the wholesale out-of-town but wouldn't you know, I saw MY Accord at the mall Saturday morning. So clearly they were able to flip it cheap here in town. I can spot it by the blackhouse headlights and the ride height. The amount they gave isn't important; we negotiated out-the-door price on the Genesis including trade-in but they were willing to go lower since my car was clean.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Congrats on the Genesis and your good trade in. It's weird to think our cars are so old too (I am under 70,000 miles but have owned it since 03) where mods don't matter. I guess that is a good thing though, I will sell my car with all it's mods (minus my Nav/stereo if I buy an older car, unlikely).

Anyway, hope you enjoy your new car, I am a bit jealous lol.

Back