MPG loss with aftermarket wheels

Chris Vu

Reaction score
I get somewhere around 26 or 27 on county roads, speed limits are 45 and 50. 17x7

ogliquidmetal, I wouldn't go around coasting in neutral too much. I've heard from too many people that it only hurts the internals of your tranny. Also, you aren't saving any more gas than coasting in gear. Both times the car is just idling and no extra gas is being fed to the motor

Uh. So what do you want me to do at a red light ? I can't keep it in gear, it has to go to neutral. I don't see how pulling it out of gear going down a hill is any different. I also match RPMs when I put it back into gear if that's the concern.

Also, I don't see how 3k rpm while coasting under load vs 700rpm in neutral while coasting would burn the same amount of fuel. Can someone explain ? I'm lost :(

EDIT: Didn't realize I posted two posts haha. Whoops.

Last edited:

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Ohhh .. yeah that makes much more sense lol. Yeah, I would never ever do those things in an auto .. 5spd is fun though :D

Macsrule15

Reaction score
i get horrible mileage compared to you guys keeping my foot out of it i get about 300 miles a tank... 17x8 i think its cause my pice of **** wheels are soo damn heavy! wheel and tire weigh more than my buddy's dakota! its kinda sad.. im gonna weigh my rim and tire

if at all possible can someone with a similar wheel size can weigh theirs with tire?
i am just curious how much more mine weighs than most..

thanx!

crossfire

Reaction score
i get horrible mileage compared to you guys keeping my foot out of it i get about 300 miles a tank... 17x8 i think its cause my pice of **** wheels are soo damn heavy! wheel and tire weigh more than my buddy's dakota! its kinda sad.. im gonna weigh my rim and tire

if at all possible can someone with a similar wheel size can weigh theirs with tire?
i am just curious how much more mine weighs than most..

thanx!
The only difference wheel weight is really going to make is in the accelerations and stopping. It all has to do with rotational inertia. Once you are cruising there is really not going to be much of a difference between different wheels. So unless you do a lot of city driving I don't think your wheels are to blame.

Macsrule15

Reaction score
i do do a lot of city driving but also when i am on the freeway it is mostly stop and go.. one bad thing about cali! haha if the freeway isn't stop and go its most likely slow and go approx. 40-80 on and off so there is still some acceleration which would cause a gas mileage drop with heavier wheels if i am not mistaken.. one tank with almost all city driving i got 250 miles on a full tank with my foot out of it

if my guess is anything by lifting the wheels and tires they feel literally about 50lbs per corner..

Chris Vu

Reaction score
i do do a lot of city driving but also when i am on the freeway it is mostly stop and go.. one bad thing about cali! haha if the freeway isn't stop and go its most likely slow and go approx. 40-80 on and off so there is still some acceleration which would cause a gas mileage drop with heavier wheels if i am not mistaken.. one tank with almost all city driving i got 250 miles on a full tank with my foot out of it

if my guess is anything by lifting the wheels and tires they feel literally about 50lbs per corner..

Woah .. 50lbs ?? Wait .. now I wanna go home and weigh my wheels .. they're xxrs so I know for sure they're not light at all hahahaha.

Back