Need a new car battery (I4)

phi1542

Reaction score
^ +1. Yellow Top for the sound system.

kind of old post but i need a new battery and I have a sound system. There's like 3 different yellow tops. 2 have the same cranking amps but one is SAE post and the other is Dual SAE/GM. Whats the difference and what should I get?

james'99

Reaction score
kind of old post but i need a new battery and I have a sound system. There's like 3 different yellow tops. 2 have the same cranking amps but one is SAE post and the other is Dual SAE/GM. Whats the difference and what should I get?

Do you think you would make use of side posts? They are very nice to have but it is kind of about your needs and uses.

james'99

Reaction score
Yeah, I was looking at the V6 ones myself. I have the 4 cyl so my choices were slightly different.

Personally, I'd go with the one with the side posts on the outside. Otherwise, they are too close to the battery tie-down and if you plan on using them, that is a little close for comfort for me.

However, you sacrifice CCAs on the one with the outside posts. Personally, I don't think it is a big deal considering they are already much higher but...

phi1542

Reaction score
Yeah, I was looking at the V6 ones myself. I have the 4 cyl so my choices were slightly different.

Personally, I'd go with the one with the side posts on the outside. Otherwise, they are too close to the battery tie-down and if you plan on using them, that is a little close for comfort for me.

However, you sacrifice CCAs on the one with the outside posts. Personally, I don't think it is a big deal considering they are already much higher but...

what do you mean? What are the posts for? I thought i just connect positive and negative on the top and call it a day. or is it different for these ones. What happens if its too close to the tie down? Is 130 CCA really make much of a difference? I'm not pushing a crazy audio setup. just a decent one for myself.

so youre saying i should get this one?

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/shop/yellowtop/optima-batteries-8042-218-d75-25-yellowtop-starting-and-deep-cycle/

I dont think i have a battery tie down. this is what i currently have

ff76s3.jpg

jgp5jq.jpg

so will the other ones still fit?

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
All of the batteries will fit without issue. You are missing the tie down.

S823B0601.gif

#4, #5, #20

Now, the side posts.

The side posts are a different type of terminal.

30015.gif

This diagram is from a Corvette because it is the only car I happen to remember using side posts that I had. Now, side posts can be used with the top posts side by side and if you have many extra electrical components, it can make it look a lot cleaner. However, for the route you are going (plug, play, and forget), you can get away with using this one and you will probably be in best shape. That's what I would do.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/shop/yellowtop/optima-batteries-8012-021-d34-yellowtop-starting-and-deep-cycle-battery/

The reason I was saying if you want the side posts, I would get the side posts on the outside because I wouldn't want the positive terminal being that close to a ground, the tie down in this case, without proper insulation. It could cause a short.

phi1542

Reaction score
All of the batteries will fit without issue. You are missing the tie down.

S823B0601.gif

#4, #5, #20

Now, the side posts.

The side posts are a different type of terminal.

30015.gif

This diagram is from a Corvette because it is the only car I happen to remember using side posts that I had. Now, side posts can be used with the top posts side by side and if you have many extra electrical components, it can make it look a lot cleaner. However, for the route you are going (plug, play, and forget), you can get away with using this one and you will probably be in best shape. That's what I would do.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/shop/yellowtop/optima-batteries-8012-021-d34-yellowtop-starting-and-deep-cycle-battery/

The reason I was saying if you want the side posts, I would get the side posts on the outside because I wouldn't want the positive terminal being that close to a ground, the tie down in this case, without proper insulation. It could cause a short.

Thanks! Should I get a battery tie down?

Back