New 4 speed vs. Cl-s 6 speed

SykVSyx

Reaction score
The autos have their share of problems, and unless you have the Honda warranty coverage, I would opt for a 6spd swap.

The prices vary from place to place with the cost of a rebuild of the auto trannies, but unless you are getting reliable/reputable work with extended/lifetime warranty coverage, save up for a 6spd swap.

I would hang on to the auto tranny only if you were certain it was just a solenoid issue, if a swap is not in the budget...or just stick with the 5spd.

OldNo7_CG2

Reaction score
I'm in the process of the 6speed swap now. My auto trans has 30k on the rebuild and I baby it still great but i miss shifting my own gears. True manual j35 in the near future as well love my 6th gen. Just do it

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I'm in the process of the 6speed swap now. My auto trans has 30k on the rebuild and I baby it still great but i miss shifting my own gears. True manual j35 in the near future as well love my 6th gen. Just do it

A built J35(J32 with swapped parts) or an actual J35(Oddy/MDX)?

Reaction score
Not sure if you were asking if the swapped Accords have J32's, but yes, they do.

There are two members on here with a J35 and one with a J36.

V6P has more variety of swapped and boosted Accords. There is a J37, and you can also check on Acurazine for swapped/boosted info as well.

thanks man, id love to see a j36 or j35 haha ;) but yea i read up somewhere the j35a3 from the 01-02 mdx is the best first gen j motor. its a factory stroked j32a2, same block and heads as the j32a2 but with a forged crank and rods. the only downside to it is the compression ratio, not as aggressive cams and 35mm valves which is 10% lighter then the j32a2s, they also flow better with the 35mm valves. apparently the 36mm valves don't flow as well and were for the low emissions? thats why with the j32a3 they used 35mm valves for more performance. information credit- j32a.com so don't quote me on that ;)

SykVSyx

Reaction score
thanks man, id love to see a j36 or j35 haha ;) but yea i read up somewhere the j35a3 from the 01-02 mdx is the best first gen j motor. its a factory stroked j32a2, same block and heads as the j32a2 but with a forged crank and rods. the only downside to it is the compression ratio, not as aggressive cams and 35mm valves which is 10% lighter then the j32a2s, they also flow better with the 35mm valves. apparently the 36mm valves don't flow as well and were for the low emissions? thats why with the j32a3 they used 35mm valves for more performance. information credit- j32a.com so don't quote me on that ;)

The J35 can use the 35mm valves and cams, though, no?

Reaction score
The J35 can use the 35mm valves and cams, though, no?

yup, but the j35a3 believe it or not after comparing it to the j32a2 heads flow a lot better. I have a j37a1 cam and I'm waiting to compare it to the cl type s 6mt cams. even though the cams are the same part number on the cl s auto and manual the manual ones are more agressive. I'm actually experimenting putting j35a3 heads on a j35a8 with custom head gaskets for the oil passages and ill probably be throwing in some j37a1 cams, they have the biggest vtec lobe by far. ;) if you need any info with this performance stuff just hmu on the other forum. also i compared some j35a3, j32a2, h22 89mm bore 9:0:1 comp, and k series 89mm bore 9:0:1 comp pistons with each other. you can use the k series pistons and h series with a thicker head gasket for the h series pistons. for the k series, i don't think you'd need one but its better to be safe and get one. but the kicker with the pistons is that using those 4 cyl pistons it'll raise your compression by 1:5 so you'll have stock compression with forged pistons :) if you want any higher just mill the heads a little bit.

Last edited:
Back