new sub setup

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
so it's been a couple years since i've wanted to redo the trunk and i finally got around to deciding what i want.

also moving to a 10" sub gave me the perfect excuse to make my own box...my first.

amazon has a deal on this sub, a phoenix gold rsd10 for $44.99 shipped. how could anyone pass this up? i figure...if it sucks too much, anything will be an upgrade for my 10" HT sub.

specs on the sub are 350RMS, single 4 voice coil, "optimal" SQ size of .5 cu ft, Xmax 13.5mm, and BL of 12.39...just what i'm looking for since my amp gives 400RMS at 4 ohms. (aside...there are tales on net of people giving these subs 1000-1500W so they can take it.)

the box is around .5 cu ft internally, with the outside dimensions of 20 3/8" wide, 10 3/4" tall, and 6" deep. it's pretty well stuffed with PolyFill to flatten out the response a little bit better than just the .5 cubes gives.

it gives more punch than the 12" JL it replaces. i'm still holding off complete judgment since i've only had about 10 hours of music through it. but so far, not bad for $45 ;)

yes...i know the carpet is not the same color. Parts Express had it cheap, and could get it to me before last saturday and i only ordered one color. oh well...i might leave it cause no one looks in my trunk, or i might redo it some day.

my audiocontrol epicenter is tucked up on top of the box, hidden from sight. open up the back seat, and you see where the mess is :skurred:

there is a 24x40" section of MDF under the stock carpet running from the rear of the trunk to the front. it's bracketed to the sub frame just behind the seats, and there is an L bracket on each side tying those to the box. on the top, there is a straight bracket on each side, screwed into the top of the subframe. long story short...I've put all my weight behind it and couldn't move it ;)

i would have made it go "all the way across" the trunk, but that would have meant more MDF, weight, AND couple more pieces inside to shrink the volume. it looks ok as-is, IMO.

ok enough talking...

before:
picture.php

after:
picture.php

picture.php

sorry for the uneven camera angle...everything is straight, don't worry :)
picture.php

picture.php

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
looks pretty nice :thumbsup:
niceee. the carpet doesnt look bad.
i've only had one box match the OEM carpeting 100% and that was in my old car. this is box #5 in 7 years :lawl:
I'll be up in a week... so you can make me one

:lawl:
it kinda sucked to make :eusa_wall:

but at least i know some shortcuts and tips now.

edit: if anyone is looking for a way to secure their box to the car, go to the "hardware" section of your home store and then go to the "decking" section. there you will find L brackets and straight ties. i used 4x of the ties and 2x L brackets.

total costs for the box:
carpet $5
spray adhesive $2 (whole can is almost $11 but didnt use much)
terminal cup $5
shipping from PE $9.59
screws $5 (3 types: wood, self tapping, drywall)
brackets $2
3/4" MDF $30 (3x sheets of 24x48" from Home Depot. Menards didn't have ****)
adhesive/sealant $0
tools $0
wire $0
zip ties $0

total: about $60

Last edited:

xi0utlawstarix

Reaction score
hey ryry...any reason you picked this sub over other subs under $50 shipped???

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
$45 shipped...wheres mine??? :madrun: setup is looking good
:eh: like i said...amazon.com
deal expires june 30...
hmm makes me want to post a pic of my set up... lol let me go do taht real quick!
seeing all the recent new setups was one of the reasons i finally got around to doing it :Smoker:

edit:
hey ryry...any reason you picked this sub over other subs under $50 shipped???
the Rsd12 has gotten high reviews so it's kind of a toss-up of how good the 10" version will be. from what i've read, it's not a bad performer overall. i wasn't really shopping by price, but it just ended up that i could move to a 10" and build a box for less $ than i can get for my JL 12".

honestly...it was mostly for (cheap) experimentation. if i had to do it over again, i'd probably end up with an RE Audio SE10 for around $120.

Last edited:
Back