Noob Intake help?!

xJx

Reaction score
I just got a sri and i installed it..i started the car everything was fine no check engine light or anything like that but when i got out of the car to look under the hood i smelt this weird kind of gas lke smell or something like that.

Is that smell normal?

Also I dont know how to mount the brackets that came with it so it can support the intake...without it its sitting on a metal tube thats running underneath it i think its attached to the radiator not sure though. Is that ok for it to touch it and sit on it?

Thanks for helping!

finch13

Reaction score
That's an A/C line most likely and a fellow member had a similar issue where he wore through the line.

The smell is probably unrelated, the intake is just a filter and a tube.

xJx

Reaction score
That's an A/C line most likely and a fellow member had a similar issue where he wore through the line.

The smell is probably unrelated, the intake is just a filter and a tube.

What do you mean by he wore through the line? Maybe the smell is from reving the engine without it being warmed up?

finch13

Reaction score
What do you mean by he wore through the line? Maybe the smell is from reving the engine without it being warmed up?

He drove with the intake rattling against the A/C line for so long that he wore a hole through the A/C line.

What does it smell like? Unburnt gas is pretty easy to tell, burnt oil is fairly easy, coolant smells kinda sweet, burnt power steering fluid is nasty, so is brake fluid.

xJx

Reaction score
He drove with the intake rattling against the A/C line for so long that he wore a hole through the A/C line.

What does it smell like? Unburnt gas is pretty easy to tell, burnt oil is fairly easy, coolant smells kinda sweet, burnt power steering fluid is nasty, so is brake fluid.

o ok i got you...i guess ill have to figure out how to use the brackets it came with. The bracket can be touching the intake pipe I assume?

Not sure sure but i think it kind of smells like oil its not sweet...I put the originall intake back on and it didnt make a smell but then again i didnt rev the engine with the original on.

Theory208

Reaction score
In the mean time till you get your mounts on, you can put a piece of foam insulation (to keep pipes from sweating) around the a/c line. Eventually it will wear out, but at least it will keep the lines and intake from wearing through for now.

xJx

Reaction score
In the mean time till you get your mounts on, you can put a piece of foam insulation (to keep pipes from sweating) around the a/c line. Eventually it will wear out, but at least it will keep the lines and intake from wearing through for now.

Thats a good idea I will do that thanks for the tip!

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
ghetto tip:

tape some duct tape on the line itself under the intake pipe to prevent rubbing

MrLazie1

Reaction score
or you can also use come zip ties and pull the intake pipe away from the line and tie it. thats what i did for my friend's intake.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
or you can also use come zip ties and pull the intake pipe away from the line and tie it. thats what i did for my friend's intake.

Zip ties become brittle with the engine bay heat and break over time. Badger had a better idea of just putting some duct tape where the intake touches the A/C line.

Now that you have an intake, when you turn off your car after running hard, you now might smell some residual exhaust gases mixed with a little oil. It comes out from your PCV vavle or your breather tubes from your Valve cover. It's normal, unless you have a lot of oil built up inside your intake tube after time.

Last edited:
Back