P0420 Bad Cat - defouler?

swollen_cu

Reaction score
im using an angled defouler.. I gutted my cat about 3 months ago and have driven about 8000 miles and nothing yet. =D

TACORICAN

Reaction score
My problem is the Cat for sure. I put the old half broken Cat on and the CEL is gone. Weird but true.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
ok, I'm not sure if everyone understands, but the defouler trick is just that...a trick...LOL
It makes the ECU think there is no problem, thus no CEL.
A lot of people will use this trick if they gut their cat, have a bad car, or bad O2 sensor.
Of course paying $10 for the defouler parts is better than paying $300+ for a cat or $60-$100+ for an O2 sensor.
Yes, the defouler trick is a good idea for states (like NJ) that won't pass you if they seea CEL.
But for other states that are more strict (Ca.) a defouler may give the impression of of a CEL not being indicated, but after an emissions test, the car may still fail because of the emissions being too high

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I passed with a megan test pipe and defouler. In oregon they only use the sniffer on older cars. They just checked my ecu for any codes. I guess I got lucky. Pray for me in 2010...heh

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
I passed with a megan test pipe and defouler. In oregon they only use the sniffer on older cars. They just checked my ecu for any codes. I guess I got lucky. Pray for me in 2010...heh

Yeah, but did you ever have a CEL with this current code prior to installing the test pipe?

Latest posts

Back