Photo Request: Intercooler Piping

AFAccord

Reaction score
I haven't seen many clear photos showing how everyone chooses to route their piping and mount the FMIC. I'm looking for photos of front mount intercoolers and charge pipe setups, as well as reviews pros/cons of your particular setup (ie. clearance issues with piping and bumper cover) to make the best decision for my build.

Post'em if ya got'em!

AFAccord

Reaction score
Are you making your own piping?

Is there any other option? I did buy a new cool air intake for the purpose of having a single piece from the TB down to the stock air-box area behind the bumper.

EDIT: Now that I say that, I'm sure someone could find a 'kit' on eBay, but I don't really consider that a viable alternative to simply buying my own piping piece by piece.

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Shoot a pm to simon_y, he usually takes some pretty detailed pics of his projects, so he may have taken some that will be helpful for you.

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
:squintfinger:
Is there any other option? I did buy a new cool air intake for the purpose of having a single piece from the TB down to the stock air-box area behind the bumper.

EDIT: Now that I say that, I'm sure someone could find a 'kit' on eBay, but I don't really consider that a viable alternative to simply buying my own piping piece by piece.
There's the Obx kit for our cars. A few guys on here including Patrick are running it

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
as far as fitment for the obx its not great. but for the price I couldn't pass it up. we just reworked the piping to make it fit.

here's a few pics that I have. can take some more if you want. the hot pipe just comes straight down off the turbo 90's towards the drivers fender then 180's through the opening on passed the side of the rad and goes to the intercooler. with the cold pipe being the way it is you can utilize the stock "intake hole" to make a airbox over top of and build some sort of ram intake to force fresh air from the front of the car up to the airbox, which is what I plan to do eventually when I have the time.

482063_3623232910656_1196723772_n.jpg

432239_2941089457496_686654731_n.jpg

hope this helps.

AFAccord

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. I'm primarily looking for what's going on behind the bumper; where the pipes are entering/exiting the bay, and routing around the radiator support. From what I can tell so far, the mental image I have in my head is pretty different from what I've seen here on the forum.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's my thought...

Referencing the above picture -

Flip/rotate the turbo so intake is coming from D side wheel well. Would require removal or relocation of ABS (if equipped), washer bottle, and alternator relocation bracket. Keep charge pipe coming down/over trans like in the pic. Seems like the shortest/straightest route to me. Especially if you're going to use a half sized radiator.

AFAccord

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I know I can't flip the turbo with the compressor on the driver's side because there's really no way to retain the A/C that way, so the compressor will have to be on the pass side. I've accepted that there will have to be a 90 coming straight off the turbo.

Say I have my FMIC tentatively mounted beneath the bumper like so:

1ad722b5e2a60fe97c6d0ee132ef61d4.jpg

Are you guys snaking it 180* around the radiator support and up over the front subframe on both sides?

6382b7ea3e63fd4b6e41821918c9961f.jpg

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
180 on the d side and more of a 90 to a 45 up on the p side. I'll snap some pics tomorrow. shoot me a text (703-297-7317) and I'll send them to you when I get to work and have some light to take pics in.

Back