Reaction score
Re: Need to decide what sub to go with

I dunno..i never really got down with IB subs

Ryan knows all about them, though.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score

I remember treetop from diyma telling me he had nice smooth bass with 2 of the 15's in 4 cubes sealed with a lot of polyfill.
thats about right for sealed...i haven't messed with modeling them for a while now.

cory's got 4 12s with like 3000w now... :lawl:
sorry but im still confused. are the speakers mounted flush against the rear seat? or is that a panel and the seat is folded down. how does the bass enter the cab of the car? ive seen some fi ib subs for cheap. lots of xmax to
you can mount 1 15" right up against the seat. it wont quite fit into the opening. if you want 2, you'd have to either mount them further back or put the cones towards the trunk (doesn't matter much). one is enough for me, but i'll probably add another down the road just to get more of that lowest octave.

i probably lose a dB or two with the seat up, but riding around with the back seat folded was high school **** :lawl: the armrest doesn't make any difference if its up or down.

the biggest thing if youre going to do it this way is watching out for the folding pass-thru...it sticks out a LOT on the trunk side (the little pull handle thinger).

nevermind the wires and hardware...first pic i only had 4 screws holding the baffle and no hardware holding the sub :lawl: theres a few more things holding it besides the brackets you can see...

IMGP6607copy.jpg

oem carpet is back in...trunk "floor" is getting redone in 1/2" birch ply as we speak...
IMGP6611copy.jpg

you must seal up all the big holes/holes you can see through etc...very important...
IMGP6633copy.jpg

eggyhustles

Reaction score

How is the output with IB setups?

When the trunk is closed, does it act like a big sealed box?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score

with a single 15" the output drops off below 30Hz or so (my Fc is like 29Hz or something close)...but i say that with the caveat that i never listen to anything but rock so 60-120Hz is more important to me.

also, the dropoff in output is similar to a 20Hz/12dB subsonic. it barely moves the response graph when i add one in, then remove it...so think of it like a subsonic-filtered system...people probably don't mind that too much, right?

IF i had another, Fc would go up to 36Hz, but it would be like 4.5dB louder at 20Hz. keeping in mind that it's 20Hz...2 IB15s would be at 108dB. at 50Hz (about where the sedan's transfer function is) figure 117dB plus 15-20 for cabin gain.

oh, and you need 150w per sub to reach Xmax. anything more is just unneeded...

with the trunk closed, it's exactly like a big (leaky) sealed box. that's ok, because we need the leaks to keep the Qts flat with 2 drivers.

Last edited:

dustint209

Reaction score

I did some reading on the IB setup and i'm really starting to like it. It would be real nice to have my trunk space and still have jam. Im thinking i could put the baffle in the trunk right behind the rear speaker holes and seal the baffle to the trunk. I would leave the rear speakers out to allow more bass in the cab. It would act like a port kinda. The FI IB315 is $189. https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficarau...Speakers/0050_IB3/product_overview.shopscript

Is there any other good IB sub around that price?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score

sure, you could put the baffle back further. only thing is you'll have to find a way to secure the bottom of the baffle (it will end up right over the void between the tire well and the tire)...the sides may be a little difficult as well. if youre not opposed to drilling into the tire well, that's not really a problem then.

i have an acoustic elegance IB15-A (which is a 4-ohm made specifically for the car). i can't remember if they're $129 or $149 each...but they're made to order so you have to call and order and then wait. wisconsin company too :badger: if you order 4 at a time, they go for like $110 each...and since i kind of want another and the machined basket doesn't match my old style basket, i'd have to get a new pair for myself and sell the old one...they're willing to split orders if you catch my drift :naughty: :peek:

specs here:
http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1647

dustint209

Reaction score

sure, you could put the baffle back further. only thing is you'll have to find a way to secure the bottom of the baffle (it will end up right over the void between the tire well and the tire)...the sides may be a little difficult as well. if youre not opposed to drilling into the tire well, that's not really a problem then.

i have an acoustic elegance IB15-A (which is a 4-ohm made specifically for the car). i can't remember if they're $129 or $149 each...but they're made to order so you have to call and order and then wait. wisconsin company too :badger: if you order 4 at a time, they go for like $110 each...and since i kind of want another and the machined basket doesn't match my old style basket, i'd have to get a new pair for myself and sell the old one...they're willing to split orders if you catch my drift :naughty: :peek:

specs here:
http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1647

I have a good bit of experience with cutting, drilling, finishing wood so i don't think that would be a problem. I would make a cardboard template first than cut the wood. I appreciate the offer on the speakers but i'll pass.

eggyhustles

Reaction score

I've never heard ae but i've heard GREAT things about them.

Try them out OP

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score

I'm in the same boat. Got some 6.5 powerbass in front doors and 3.5 clarion in rear doors hooked up to a deck. I was planning on getting an amp to power them until I did some sound dampening on the doors. That made all the difference I needed. I still wanna try out some tang bands in the door though. They look so beefy. A 6.5 speaker with 13mm xmax!!
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-832

So you have 6x9's in your rear deck with bump in your trunk? You ever took the rears out and noticed the extra bass from the sub? I took my rear deck speakers out and they are never goin back in.

yea im not really big on highs... i just like bass.... but with a nice even high i mean... im satisfiyed with tha set up.... works and sounds great...

dustint209

Reaction score

I was looking at the specs on my rockford fosgate and noticed that the qts is .62 and from what i've read it needs to be over .50 Only problem I see is the low xmax. Today is my day off of work so i'm thinking i could go spend about $10 on some mdf and build a baffle just to see how it would sound. If it sounds like poo i'll take it out and keep it for my next sub. What do you think? Go far it?

Description Value
CEA-2031 Compliant
Size 15"
Impedance 4-Ohm
Power Handling 200 Watts RMS
400 Watts Max
Voice Coil Diameter 1.5" 6-Layer
(3.81 cm)
Magnet Weight 54 oz.
Speaker Connector Dual 10 AWG compression
Fs (Hz) 24
Re (Ohms) 3.60