*Pics update Need to decide what sub to go with

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
Re: Need to decide what sub to go with

I was looking at the specs on my rockford fosgate and noticed that the qts is .62 and from what i've read it needs to be over .50 Only problem I see is the low xmax. Today is my day off of work so i'm thinking i could go spend about $10 on some mdf and build a baffle just to see how it would sound. If it sounds like poo i'll take it out and keep it for my next sub. What do you think? Go far it?

Fs (Hz) 24
Le (mH) 3.9
Qts 0.62
Vas (Liters) 170.0
SPL (dB @ 1w/1m) 87 dB
Xmax (mm) 9.5
for testing...you already got it so might as well. the Xmax will definitely be limiting but its just a mock up.

the driver Qts needs to be mid-high (.4-.7) but what's more important is what happens to the Q when its in the car. I edited down the driver specs...those are the ones to pay attention to ;)

you want:
low Fs
low Le
mid Qts
large Vas
~90dB sensitivity
naturally, high Xmax

also be very careful with how much power you give it in the lower frequencies. it's rated 200w but probably needs half that to reach max excursion.

Namboyz

Reaction score

damn.. ryan is a beast full of knowledge in this area...

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score

:lawl:

nah, just learned by reading and doing...i only know a small, small portion of stuff. it helps knowing the "technical" stuff so you dont have to bother doing something that wont work. i'd prefer my "trial and error" to be "best option 1, or best option 2" and play around that way :lawl:

OP, i modeled the RF for fun...be very careful under 27Hz with anything more than 80 watts or so...you'll be exceeding its excursion capabilities. 108dB at 50Hz won't feel exciting (without cabin gain), but just wait till you get a driver in there with double the Xmax :)

dustint209

Reaction score

P2710100006.jpg

P2710100011.jpg

P2710100014.jpg

P2710100017.jpg

P2710100019.jpg

P2710100023.jpg

P2710100018.jpg

It sounds ok. Its obvious that this sub is not made for this setup. Can't wait to get the right sub for it. I plan to cover with carpet once I finish it. I might throw my original box back in for now. What do you guys think? Looks ok?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
not bad at all...probably a lot simpler than making a 6-sided box, right? :lawl: and a LOT lighter.

is there any movement of the baffle at all?

you may not feel the need to do it, but i did...take a rag/old tshirt/block of soft foam and shove it into the holes in the very upper and outer holes of the trunk...right above the shock towers. theres a 3x4" gap on each side...i've never tested if it makes a difference, but i shoved some material in there.

also consider using something small to plug the seatback latch...you can see light through it, so best to plug it.

nice work (and quick too) ;)

dustint209

Reaction score
that is begging for 2 15's

Na, I think one will do. I just listened to some rock music and the bass guitar and drums sound so much more accurate. Rap dosen't bump like is did before but that should improve with the new sub.

not bad at all...probably a lot simpler than making a 6-sided box, right? :lawl: and a LOT lighter.

is there any movement of the baffle at all?

you may not feel the need to do it, but i did...take a rag/old tshirt/block of soft foam and shove it into the holes in the very upper and outer holes of the trunk...right above the shock towers. theres a 3x4" gap on each side...i've never tested if it makes a difference, but i shoved some material in there.

also consider using something small to plug the seatback latch...you can see light through it, so best to plug it.

nice work (and quick too) ;)

Yes, a whole lot more simple. There is a little movement in the baffle at the bottom. I just need to get a long enough drill bit to bolt down the bottom. Everything else is real solid and it dosen't make any vibration noises.

Wow nice cutting skills.

Thanks! I had to make a couple of templates but it worked out just fine.

Back