*Pics update Need to decide what sub to go with

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
Xmax refers to one-way
Xmech is the total it can move, out and in

Some places use "point to point" or "peak to peak" which is another way to say Xmech. if the spec is ambiguous and sounds pretty high, it probably is :lawl:

i had to google the daihatsu since i've never heard of a rocky...awesome. boxes on wheels is how SUVs should be...

edit: not like it matters if i post one more time since i have 11,700 already... :lawl: but, i plugged 2 IB3 15's into WinISD. interesting how Fi doesn't publish full specs on their site.

the breakdown: the Fi's have a Qtc of .851 in 14 cubes...and versus a pair of AE IB 15s (both pairs off 500w total power), the IB15s are almost 3dB louder at 50-80Hz, and are half a decibel louder all the way down. the IB3's have a 9Hz lower F3.

so: the Qtc of the IB3's isn't great, but will play slightly lower. the IB15s are louder due to the extra sensitivity, and will reach max excursion with less power.

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
OH, i completely forgot to mention this...be CAREFUL when you shut the doors. if you slam the door, and your sub has a good seal to the cabin, the vent in the trunk can't relieve the pressure and you can pop your ears.

its cool to watch the cone jump when you shut a door...good test, too. i just leave my window cracked a little so its not sealed to the rubber.

How do I fit 2 18s In there?? I would probably have to push the baffle back about a foot to make room for that ish.
if you got rid of the center seatbelt tensioner, and that little TDK box and pushed a couple wires around...theres space...at least itll be pretty close.

if it dont fit, force it! :smash:
quick question too... Why did you mount the sub from the back instead of the front?
you can do it any which-way you want, so long as the "front" wave is isolated from the "rear" wave and the front wave can enter the cabin.

maddmatt02

Reaction score
OH, i completely forgot to mention this...be CAREFUL when you shut the doors. if you slam the door, and your sub has a good seal to the cabin, the vent in the trunk can't relieve the pressure and you can pop your ears.

well, theres just one more thing for the wife to ***** about then, probably not going to do it in her car.

and so were you saying the IB3 is probably 30mm PTP, or one way?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i never slam any car doors...i pull them closed, then firmly shut them from about 4" away. that would help minimize the rush of air...you just dont want the door compressing the cabin instantly when its shut.

my buddy's cobalt's moonroof would always jump a little when the doors shut...those things were hard to close. now i'm jealous of his g35's windows that open a tad when the door is opened, then go up when closed tight. that would save me from leaving my window cracked and making sure its cracked every time i park. i hate window-frame-less doors though.

Fi's site lists 30mm Xmax. i don't doubt it. unfortunate that the high Xmax only lets them play ~10Hz lower at 1/2dB louder than the AE's...

dustint209

Reaction score
Just a little update on my infinite baffle. The link to the article I posted earlier talks about having a very strong baffle with absolutely no flex. "Overkill is acceptable". So thats what I set out to do. I glued and screwed another sheet of mdf which brings my thickness up to 1.25". I also added rubber along the edge of the baffle so there is no wood to metal contact. Finally I sealed up the entire baffle with "great stuff". I also coated one side with undercoat spray. The sturdiness of the baffle drastically improved the output and performance of the subwoofer. That FI is going to sound amazing, I can't wait.

P3110100012.jpg

P3110100006.jpg

P3110100010.jpg

dustint209

Reaction score
Finished up the baffle today. Now I'm having a problem with the Rockford Fosgate. The magnet is slapping the basket and making a horrible noise. What the hell!! I put some gorilla glue in the seem but it didn't help.:madrun:

new-1.jpg

Back