planning on suspension and wheels

lifelongbread

Reaction score
alright so the other day we were having a slow day at work and i started doing some planning on my new set up i want after the winter is over. i was looking at the motegi sp10's in the 17x7 or 18x8 and i was guna get the hankook v4's in the 235/45/17 or if i went with the 18x8 i would go with a tire that gave me about the same height as the 235/45/17 or slightly taller. i busted out the tape ruler and i measured the gap in the wheel well i currently have with the stock suspension, wheels and tires (195/65/15) and it came out to 3 inches. i put a 235/45/17 tire next to it and it decreased the gap by half an inch.
the next thing i looked into was suspension and i think im going with the kyb gr2's and tein s-techs which i heard people have good luck with and it gives you a 2.0 drop in the front and 1.7 in the rear. which would by my calculations give me a 1/2 gap. is there any other way of decreasing that gap without dropping it more or you can suggest better lowering springs that will drop it a tad bit more. i would like to keep the ride feel as stock as possible but i wouldnt mind if its a little bit stiffer. would spacers be something i would have to look into to get the right look im going for.

i guess what im really trying to figure out is how i can a similar "flushness" on a 2 inch drop as-
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24271
(props to johnson for having a sick car)
i hope im going in the right direction to getting this figured out

pictures of the wheels-
http://www.autopartsdealer.com/mote...m=cse&utm_campaign=bing&utm_content=APD281544

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
sounds like you are going to want Tein basic coilovers. They give you the ability to drop as much as 3" and ride smooth. Most springs that are lower than a 2" drop are pretty harsh and coilovers that go lower than the teins also have a harsher ride

oh and the car you want a similar ride to...his wheels low offset and width along with his really low ride height is what is making it look that way...so asking for that flushness with a 2" drop is not really going to work....

if you are really low and get the wheels you want...it won't be the same. if you get wheels like johnson's without being that low it won't look the same...

gotta pay the price to play like johnson is

Last edited:

jgilley

Reaction score
Yeah chris is right. I'm running a 205/40/17 on a 17 by 7

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

lifelongbread

Reaction score
sounds like you are going to want Tein basic coilovers. They give you the ability to drop as much as 3" and ride smooth. Most springs that are lower than a 2" drop are pretty harsh and coilovers that go lower than the teins also have a harsher ride

oh and the car you want a similar ride to...his wheels low offset and width along with his really low ride height is what is making it look that way...so asking for that flushness with a 2" drop is not really going to work....

if you are really low and get the wheels you want...it won't be the same. if you get wheels like johnson's without being that low it won't look the same...

gotta pay the price to play like johnson is

so if im going for a 2 inch drop what size rimes and tires would i need to have the cleanest look possible by your guy's experience?

i guess what im trying to get at is eliminating the wheel well gap while keeping function. right now i cant afford to be slammed, but i want a decent drop with the least amount of gap between the wheels and fender.

Last edited:

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
get whatever rims you want, if you think they look good then thats what matters

cuz remember

Haters_Gonna_Hate_23.jpg

lifelongbread

Reaction score
get whatever rims you want, if you think they look good then thats what matters

cuz remember

Haters_Gonna_Hate_23.jpg

yeah i planed on that. i just wana know what a good size rim to get with a two inch drop. unlike some people i cant afford to just buy rims left and right and i wana try and do it right or atleast close to right the first time around.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
What made you choose those Motegi's? They're pretty blah looking IMO.

You need to listen to exactly what Danny said. If I were you I would drop you car FIRST, see how it looks and go from there. Once you have your car lowered you can decide what size wheel (width, diameter, offset) would look best with your setup. I would also strongly suggest going with a soft coilover like Tein Basics if you want an OEMish feel. Reason being is that once you car is lowered, if you add a larger diameter wheel/tire combo, it's going to lift the car up a little bit. If you get coils, you can drop it down a little bit more to compensate.

I can't think of one person that didn't say "I should have gone with coilovers", after installing their spring/shock combo....myself included.

Back