Previous Damage Not Reported

barfo

Reaction score
For several weeks now, I've been looking for another Honda Accord to add to the other two Accords that we have (1998, 1999) for our son who's a senior in high school and will be entering college in the fall. We are partial to the 5-speed option (previously owned 1997, 2000 manual Accords) since they are more fun to drive and generally more reliable than the automatics. Since 5-speeds are few and far between where I live, at least not many are up for sale anyways, and those that are, are a piece of crap or too expensive (we prefer the 6th Generation models). I found a 1997 Accord EX 5-speed sedan that was similar to what we had before. After driving it last Sunday, my wife and I thought we'd better schedule an appointment for this coming Friday (yesterday) with our local HondaPro guy that we've used for years to do a Check-for-Purchase inspection prior to buying it since there seemed to be a few things wrong with it. As the week progressed, I found a 2000 Accord LX Sedan (automatic, though) that we test drove, which ran smoother and just looked better than the 1997, although my wife wasn't thrilled with it. I went ahead and decided to schedule the inspection for this car instead of the 1997. I called the guy and thanked him for his time. Well, Wednesday night came and I just happened to come across a 2000 Accord LX Coupe 5-speed in town that was just posted. I showed my wife, and we scheduled an appointment to test drive it the next day. I went ahead had pulled up a CARFAX report on the Coupe that night. On the Additional History section of the report, it revealed No Issues Reported for structural damage or accident/damage...great!

I was scheduled to meet the middle-man of the 2000 Sedan by 6pm the next day, too (a town north of us), so I could drive it back down and drop it off at HondaPro for them to inspect it the next morning. So, Thursday late afternoon came and we met the owner at his house since he was driving home from work and wasn't driving the 2000 Coupe. He said he had some things repaired (had a receipt) and had a tune-up recently, along with a few things that still needed to be looked at. We test drove it and it seemed to look and drive pretty well. Knowing that HondaPro usually finds things to recommend repairing or maintaining everytime we take our Hondas in for oil changes and such, we decided to go ahead and buy the Coupe before getting it inspected. Well, that eventually turned out to be a BIG MISTAKE!!!!!! I called the other guy to cancel the mtg and thanked him for his time since we were getting close to our 6pm mtg time for me to pick up his car for inspection. So, we drove the Coupe straight to HondaPro after we bought it and dropped it off for inspection for the next morning. They were still open, and I told them of the change in cars (again!).

Friday came (yesterday), and since I had the day off, I had also scheduled my 1999 Accord EX 5-speed for an oil change with HondaPro. Afterwards, I had to go up to work just for a little bit, then came home to pick up the Proof of Insurance that our insurance guy had emailed. So, I decided to go ahead and register the car since I had the time to wait for hours at the DMV. When I filled out the Vehicle Registration Application (VRA), one of the required documents, I didn't check either of the Damage or Previous Damage boxes because I didn't know that it had been wrecked. So, after I had registered the car, I finally heard back from the Honda shop and they told be that indeed it had been wrecked. The mechanic stated that on the invoice in writing...JUST WONDERFUL!!!

Now, the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee that I printed out states that "CARFAX will buy this vehicle back if you find that any of these severe problems were reported by a DMV and were not included in this report." So, that got me thinking. Since I had just registered the car before I got the written statement from my mechanic stating that the car had been wrecked, and that I didn't mark the damage boxes on the VRA, I'm afraid that CARFAX may not honor this guarantee since it apparently had not been previously reported as being damaged, including myself when I registered today. Now that I know it had been wrecked/damaged, can I go back to the DMV and have them update the documentation on my car stating that it had been previously wrecked based on my mechanics inspection, in hopes that CARFAX will buy back my car? I had already submitted a claim to CARFAX tonight with the supporting document from my mechanic. If CARFAX gets the claim and check DMV records before I go back to the DMV to get it changed, they won't find any record of it being damaged, and; therefore, may deny my claim. If so, I might have to call CARFAX and explain my case. Also, IF they do buy it back, I'm wondering how much they'll buy it back for, my purchase price (doubt it) or the suggested price based on the CARFAX report (most likely)?

I hope that makes sense. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Everyone!

Last edited:

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure of the way the CarFax buyback guarantee works, but i would think the only way they would buy it back is if the DMV PREVIOUSLY had it titled as salvage or rebuilt (which would mean it was wrecked then repaired.) I don't think you going back to the DMV and informing them it had been wrecked based on what your mechanic found would be of any consequence, because it's just you telling them what you found. This is why CarFax is generally not a very dependable source of information on a car, because they get their reports from DMVs and insurance companies, so if someone wrecked a car then repaired it without informing their insurance company it would not show up on CarFax's report. Sorry to hear of the situation, I hope I'm wrong.

As an aside, you mention HondaPro, and towns "to the north of you"-- do you live in the Northwest Arkansas area (Fayetteville?)

barfo

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure of the way the CarFax buyback guarantee works, but i would think the only way they would buy it back is if the DMV PREVIOUSLY had it titled as salvage or rebuilt (which would mean it was wrecked then repaired.) I don't think you going back to the DMV and informing them it had been wrecked based on what your mechanic found would be of any consequence, because it's just you telling them what you found. This is why CarFax is generally not a very dependable source of information on a car, because they get their reports from DMVs and insurance companies, so if someone wrecked a car then repaired it without informing their insurance company it would not show up on CarFax's report. Sorry to hear of the situation, I hope I'm wrong.

As an aside, you mention HondaPro, and towns "to the north of you"-- do you live in the Northwest Arkansas area (Fayetteville?)
Sure do, you?

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
Sure do, you?

Yep up here in Bentonville. I bought my 1998 Accord 5 speed last year from a guy in Decatur. So far it has been a great car, knock on wood. I had a 2001 Accord bought new from Fletcher years ago, the good luck I had with it caused me to look for another 6th gen.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I'm used to it, I worked FOR A SHORT TIME at a place that got -TOO MANY F'KED CARS-

Had one that killed a brand-new tire in 300 miles, with me driving it. A 2 year old Civic!

ALWAYS check your car!

ALWAYS!

btw: a fridge magnet helps

barfo

Reaction score
Yep up here in Bentonville. I bought my 1998 Accord 5 speed last year from a guy in Decatur. So far it has been a great car, knock on wood. I had a 2001 Accord bought new from Fletcher years ago, the good luck I had with it caused me to look for another 6th gen.
What a coincidence! I happen to work in Bentonville Schools, so driving my 99 Accord on I-49 daily is a bit stressful, but it cruises right along and has been holding up quite nicely. We're having to put a lot of $$ into the 00 Coupe, but, oh well, it'll be like-new once it's all said and done, and it should last for a loooong time.

barfo

Reaction score
I'm used to it, I worked FOR A SHORT TIME at a place that got -TOO MANY F'KED CARS-

Had one that killed a brand-new tire in 300 miles, with me driving it. A 2 year old Civic!

ALWAYS check your car!

ALWAYS!

btw: a fridge magnet helps
Yep, ALWAYS! Under our particular circumstance, I felt a bit pressured, which I won't get into, so I didn't take my time and do a thorough job of inspecting it myself on this one. You live and you learn, sometimes!

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
What a coincidence! I happen to work in Bentonville Schools, so driving my 99 Accord on I-49 daily is a bit stressful, but it cruises right along and has been holding up quite nicely. We're having to put a lot of $$ into the 00 Coupe, but, oh well, it'll be like-new once it's all said and done, and it should last for a loooong time.

awesome, I actually called HondaPro to check this car before I bought it, I knew before buying it has rear end damage (still has a nice dent in the left rear fender) but the title was clear so I figured it must have not been too bad. (I could also tell it had been repainted on the left side from the front door back, I recently tried to attach a Razorback magnet to the back and it wouldn't stick :D)

xci.ed6

Reaction score
This car, is PERFECT, I looked it over -WELL- really, got paid to do that too! I worked at the dealer that sold it, lol, so it was an a hoist for the first time I did it, before I owned it

It has been fixed, hit a deer so the coupe front, checked out fine.

2nd time, a dumbass rear ended me, they 'fixed' it quickly and POORLY. So I returned, explained, lasted -weeks- to actually fix.

barfo

Reaction score
awesome, I actually called HondaPro to check this car before I bought it, I knew before buying it has rear end damage (still has a nice dent in the left rear fender) but the title was clear so I figured it must have not been too bad. (I could also tell it had been repainted on the left side from the front door back, I recently tried to attach a Razorback magnet to the back and it wouldn't stick :D)
Guess you could buy car flags instead, huh. The Coup is a Missouri car, so there's a little bit of rust going on underneath in the A-pipe area, hope that's all! The right upper control arm was bad, which I didn't notice when driving it, hmmm. I should get the car back from the shop tomorrow, and it better run like a top. We decided to go ahead and do timing belt, water pump, seals; transmission service; right upper control arm replacement; oil change; and heater/coolant hoses and thermostat...whew!!! Next trip won't be as expensive, but expensive enough.

Last edited:
Back