Prokit, H&R sports, Koni sport

drey

Reaction score
Re: Prokit and H&R sports springs

Yeah that's what I'm trying to say.. But with my H&R sports I had like 3 finger gap up front and 3 in the back. It was ghey... lol

But to the OP, My eibach sportlines gave me about 1.5 finger gap and they were pretty comfortable, and the roads here suck as well. But if you want something closer to stock, I'd say go with teins. You dont have to worry about the boat look because you have KOni yellows with the adjustable perches on the front.

just asking, is it bad to have the springs sitting on different perches, for example the rear on the 2nd (upper) and the first on the 1st (lower)? i dont see why not but just want to be sure.
my guess is the eibach sportlines are similar to the h&r springs.

blackcord

Reaction score

I don't recall stock being as bad as it is now. Thank goodness for the dampening feature of the yellows cause it smooths out some of the bumps. Downtown sucks... i hate driving down there. :doh:

Thanks for the advice. I read that tein springs squeak...is this true?

I had mine for over 1 year and I never noticed any squeaking.

Last edited:

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score

just asking, is it bad to have the springs sitting on different perches, for example the rear on the 2nd (upper) and the first on the 1st (lower)? i dont see why not but just want to be sure.

Not really. The perches don't really adjust the height enough to have too much of an adverse effect on dampening ability.

hondahana

Reaction score

okay to keep from a new thread how was the prokit on a stock tire size(205/60/16)? im looking at getting prokit with eibach struts and bars and all. whats gap like?

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score

OP here is what I would do if I were you, pick yourself up a set of Neuspeed sports, and drop the perches down to the lowest setting. That should put you right at about a 2-3 finger gap, and should be close to a OEMish feel. Like I said before the perch settings aren't different enough to have much of an effect on dampening, and these cars have a TON of suspension travel.

Once this is done I would play around with the dampening adjustments as well. Maybe ride around on full soft for a couple days, and switch it around until you fond the most comfortable setting for your daily commute.

okay to keep from a new thread how was the prokit on a stock tire size(205/60/16)? im looking at getting prokit with eibach struts and bars and all. whats gap like?

OP doesn't have the Prokit springs, he has H&R's. Please don't threadjack.

hondahana

Reaction score

There were a few forum threads on different springs, in particular the prokit and h&r sports but didn't find the answer I was looking for. To begin, I currently have koni sports yellow shocks on full soft (2 months old) with h&r sports springs 1.5/1.2. For the most part, on the highways and decent paved roads, the setup I have is pretty comfortable. It's only in the area where I recently moved to, the roads are pretty bad with lots of cracks and uneven roads and the performance aspect of the setup is felt or shown.
I'm getting to that age (close to 30) where I still prefer a decent stance of 1-2 finger gap between the fender and tires and still having a comfortable ride overall.
Initially I thought the h&r sports wouldn't be too bad but having moved to an area where the roads have not been repaved for what looks like centuries, but the bumps and cracks are getting to me.

I have read reviews from different forums and it appears from a few individuals, they believe/state that the prokit is less stiff or harsh than the h&r sports but there's no actual numbers to make a case nor did they say they had experienced both springs. I don't want to disappoint myself by buying a set of prokits (used) and finding out that I wasted my time and money.

If the answer I'm looking for isn't convincing, I will probably just put in my stock springs and say goodnight - if you get my drift.
I should mention that I haven't got an alignment yet, reason being wanted to make sure the spring rates of the h&r's weren't too stiff. I'm not sure if that would cause a problem but I could be wrong.

I found pictures of both springs online, it looks that the h&r's were designed to be stiffer, and the prokit designed to be close to oem in comfort.

This is sort of my last resort by posting to help me make a decision or clarify anything that I'm not aware of as I'm not the expert in suspensions. Looking forward to your opinions, thanks!

I wouldn't mind also if someone could explain to me what the shocks do and what the springs do. I think I already know but the reason I'm asking is because some bumps on the road, they look as if they're going to be really bad and they weren't and other times the cracks that look harmless are an absolute killer for my back when I ride over them.
Springs have a fixed height, the shorter the spring and the more compressed they are provides the needed performance and less body roll. softer the shock, it absorbs harsher road conditions to provide better comfort. the firmer they are, it just provides better performance. am i close?

h&r sports:
t5k8pt.png

prokit:
ea1us7.jpg

he was asking about the prokits i search found this thread and instead of making a new thread i chimed in here.

drey

Reaction score

i called H&R (again) to ask how much stiffer (% wise) they are to OEM. they (or the guy) beats around the bush which was extremely annoying - i know a "no" would have been suffice.

Q: can i get some info about h&r springs for accord 98
A: "we don't publish springs rates".
Q: whats the % stiffness comparable to stock
A: "springs are matched with dampening rates"
Q: dampening, you mean shocks?
A: yes
Q: ok that doesnt tell me anything. ok can you tell me how much stiffer in % compared to OEM springs
A: sorry we dont give out springs rates, i dont have them in front of me, we dont want you to compare with other brands.
Q: i just want to know the % compared to OEM, that's all im asking... not other brands
A: we dont publish them.

blackcord

Reaction score

i called H&R (again) to ask how much stiffer (% wise) they are to OEM. they (or the guy) beats around the bush which was extremely annoying - i know a "no" would have been suffice.

Q: can i get some info about h&r springs for accord 98
A: "we don't publish springs rates".
Q: whats the % stiffness comparable to stock
A: "springs are matched with dampening rates"
Q: dampening, you mean shocks?
A: yes
Q: ok that doesnt tell me anything. ok can you tell me how much stiffer in % compared to OEM springs
A: sorry we dont give out springs rates, i dont have them in front of me, we dont want you to compare with other brands.
Q: i just want to know the % compared to OEM, that's all im asking... not other brands
A: we dont publish them.

That just sucks. Poor PR and they just dont give a damn, cause they know that their products are well known and people will buy.

Same with me. I called Eibach and asked about spring rates of their Eibach ProStreet Coilovers. The dude said that he does not know. I asked him if he could find out and call or email me? He said yes, but the idiot never did. I emailed them the same question, but never got a reply. Then I said piss on Eibach and went with Teins SS-P coilovers instead, cause their spring rates are posted on their website along with their coilover min and max drop range. Good luck in your search.

drey

Reaction score
Didn't want to create a new thread.
I'm surprised i couldn't find any post regarding koni yellows and oem springs. I havent been able to find a used set of softer springs of teins/tanabes/eibach yet, so I'd like to find out what ppl know about oem springs with koni sport.

My guess is with Koni's at full soft, there won't be much damage to the shocks....? Also, would it be ok to have the springs sit on the lowest perch or will there be major issues?

Back