quick fix for condensation in headlights

Stile442

Reaction score
I think I'm putting this in the right forum, if not feel free to move it.

We just had a few days of solid rain and wet weather in central florida and my retros got some condensation in them. I did not want to take out the headlights and pull them apart to get rid of it, seemed like too much work for a little fog in the lense lol. I started thinking that all it really needed was some air flow to allow the condensation to evaporate. So here's what I did...

Pull the high beam bulb out

Get out your shop-vac and use the attachment with the smallest opening

Aim it at the hole for the high beam bulb and turn it on reverse so its blowing air and not sucking air

I let it run for about 20min and all the condensation was gone!! :)

I dont think Ive seen this trick posted here before so hope this helps some of you. Sorry about not having pics. I didnt think about it until afterwards.

sodaks2k

Reaction score
A hair dryer works just as well, maybe better since the air will be hot and dry. Either one will only work until the rain/humidity comes back. There's condensation because there's a hole/leak in the headlight. It could be as simple as needing to replace the seals around the bulbs or worse, needing to replace the seal where the lens and housing meet.

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I would start with resealing the headlight, although your tip was helpful as a temp fix.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
[general thoughts not aimed at anyone]

condensation is caused by the headlights not being able to vent out the moist air.

if you were a noob and stripped out all your stock sealant and didn't replace it (or you have ebay lights with thin/missing sealant), then you should reseal them with silicone. its so rare to have an actual leak in a light.

think about it...there has to be an actual HOLE for the water to seep into. the rear of the headlights aren't sealed. that's why they don't get wet during rain but become foggy once the air around the light warms up while the moisture inside the light is cool.

if you have condensation issues and the headlights are apart, check the vents and make sure they're clear. ebay headlights just have sucky ventilation to begin with.

if the lights are on the car or you dont want to take em apart, drill a few 1/8" holes in the lower housing.

ive done that on numerous cars...in fact, some had standing water inside the light and that water would blow bulbs.

ventilation is the key to clear lights :thumbup: if you want proof, wait till your lights get foggy and do this shop vac trick or pull the parking light bulb and socket and/or the 9006/9005 bulbs and see how the condensation goes away.

my headlights are wet from snow right now. if it warms up to 50-60 degrees in the next hour or so, i guarantee they will fog up. otherwise, they can stay covered in snow and be fine since they dont actually leak.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Normal wear causes the breakdown and allows condensation to seep in.

As Ryan suggested, whether OEM or aftermarket, also check the vents, they also can be part of the issue.

I don't recall if the seals are available on their own to replace worn ones.

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
So you're saying there isn't a grommet where the bulbs twist into the housing? I could have sworn there is one.
there is an O-ring on the bulbs...but the "dust boots" (big black rings) on the back of the housings are not air tight.

if you can look at a housing straight-on while it's off the car, you can see that the bulb is sealed to the reflector, but the dust boot does not seal the reflector to the housing. headlamps like 9004s move the whole unit, not just the reflector for aiming, therefore the bulbs create a seal...hence...i've had to "vent" a bunch of those headlamps.

once, i took out some 9004 bulbs that sounded like uncorking a liquor bottle... :lawl:

Mr.Hollow

Reaction score
hey thanks for the tip, imma do that tomorrow. I just blackhouse'd my lights a couple weeks ago and my driver side light has all this fog in it... what kind of silicone can i use to seal them back up, a lot of my sealant disappeared.

** never mind i found it, honda bond**

Last edited:

truWarier02

Reaction score
I saw my passenger side headlight fog up a bit after I washed my car one day a couple months back.. and the first thing that popped into my mind was to turn on my HID's so that the heat from the bulbs will "defog" it or whatever.. and about a minute or 2 later.. I turned my lights off and the fog was gone haha. Hasn't happened since though.

CHID0

Reaction score
You could also reseal and throw a few silica gel packs into the bottom of the housing to absorb any moisture that may seep in accidentally.....as a safeguard. I did this when i resealed my retro and my lights have never fogged.

Back