SilverStar Ultra or SilverStar zXe? Need your help guys...

mo.v6accord

Reaction score
I have had mine over 2 years. they're great. Better than the phillips I think. Buddy had those on his civic.

Akingkhan

Reaction score
Why not HIDs? You know you could get 6000K sets that are as close to pure white as any Silverstars. There are lots of colors HID kits come in, that fit in the stock headlights. As for cost HIDs pretty cheep now, almost the same as the Silverstars.

noelaorozco

Reaction score
dont want much attention from the pigs around here but come to think of it that may be the best shot to get some nice lighting.
are your running HID's? and know any reliable sites that sell good ones?

truWarier02

Reaction score
Silverstars are overpriced imo. Once on a whim I tried some Philips CrystalVision Ultra's, I was surprised at the output. They were whiter and brighter than the Silverstars, and a helluva lot cheaper. In hindsight I can't believe they were under $30, at at Meijer no less. :lawl:

I've been using Philips CrystalVisions for the past year and they're a good bang for your buck. I bought mine for $26 shipped on Amazon with a $5 rebate from Philips. They're pure white without a hint of blue and they light up the road just fine for me. On top of that, it's one less thing the cops could hassle me over. And unless I go the retrofit route, I'll definitely stick with these CrystalVisions for future replacements. I've been thinking about buying a set for my mom's Mercedes ML because the stock bulbs are dim as fuck.

Why not HIDs? You know you could get 6000K sets that are as close to pure white as any Silverstars. There are lots of colors HID kits come in, that fit in the stock headlights. As for cost HIDs pretty cheep now, almost the same as the Silverstars.

HIDs in halogen setup :thumbsdown:

Solidus

Reaction score
I can tell you from personal experience with both Silverstar Ultra and Sylvannia ZXE that the Silverstar Ultra is not the greatest due to their high price and limited lighting reach.

Now I switched from Silverstar Ultra to Sylvannia ZXE a little while back and these things are great so good I just upgraded my fogs to these. For the ZXE price is a little high but walmart saves you at least $5 right out the gate. I got my low beams for $40 through Autozone with a coupon.

Now as far as difference between ZXE and HID both from experience and research Ive done. Stock headlights tend not to use all HID lighting properly thats why you get those people who drive down the road with what looks to be their brights blinding you but its really someone with HID where light is improperly reflected and refracted into oncoming drivers. HID works great with projectors and D2S HID bulbs because the light is better controlled with projector lenses.

ZXE bulbs have a 200hr life span and on dark road with no lighting properly aimed cutoff will reach around 6-7 car lengths and fogs with ZXE reach 2-3 car lengths.

noelaorozco

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! But im still stuck between choosing lol i want to try the ZXE but also the crystal vision but now @akingkhan got me thinking why not HID's :skurred:

Solidus

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! But im still stuck between choosing lol i want to try the ZXE but also the crystal vision but now @akingkhan got me thinking why not HID's :skurred:

Close your eyes and pick one, they all look the same with your eyes closed HAHA.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
HIDs in halogen reflectors is terrible.

any bulb with some kind of coating on it to make it "whiter and brighter" will have its life reduced, no matter what, due to the heat the coating traps.

ive had my HIRs since the spring of 2006. if my next car has 9006 low beams without stock HIDs, they will be going into it.

noelaorozco

Reaction score
@solidus haha yeah i know right, if only it were that easy

@ryan but yeah i have heard that issue. Got any pictures of your HIR's?

Back