Skid Plate

5acc0rd4

Reaction score
^ It's about freakin time aye? Well thanks. Just post it here when you find out :thumbsup:

I'm sorry man I'm sorry haha I've been so busy lately with work and school. But I drew a diagram of my plate. Hope this is helpful...

30rxhfc.jpg

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Kinda tired, so just wanting an answer - is that a hole for the oil drain bolt, or downpipe curve? What's that hole? Nice diagram.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Allow me to constructively critique, but won't the downpipe get hit before the skid plate will? In essence, this design wouldn't have the complete intended effect. For example - the PasswordJDM one is made to cover the downpipe from damage, there are others made for just the oil pan, the best one is made for both. If your downpipe gets hit and cracks your header or breaks off exhaust manifold studs, the skid place in this design will remain fresh, new, and untouched - depending on the impact of course. Is a skid plate designed essentially to cover just your oil pan in 'slammed' applications, or should all components be covered in case of impact? I would consider welding a box or raised plate over that open area, just to prevent that risk. Of course this would be additional work.

itzcharlie

Reaction score
Allow me to constructively critique, but won't the downpipe get hit before the skid plate will? In essence, this design wouldn't have the complete intended effect. For example - the PasswordJDM one is made to cover the downpipe from damage, there are others made for just the oil pan, the best one is made for both. If your downpipe gets hit and cracks your header or breaks off exhaust manifold studs, the skid place in this design will remain fresh, new, and untouched - depending on the impact of course. Is a skid plate designed essentially to cover just your oil pan in 'slammed' applications, or should all components be covered in case of impact? I would consider welding a box or raised plate over that open area, just to prevent that risk. Of course this would be additional work.

9hsa5u.jpg

from what i can see in his picture. It seems like it will hit his skid plate first.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Nice. From that same picture it doesn't look like there's even a reason to have that hole if nothing goes down into it, the pipe looks like it could be above it?

That's just the mock-up though, here it is mounted:

fepemo.jpg

I see no need to even have that hole there..

I have those same jackstands :lawl:

Or is that hole there so that if something hits the plate and doesn't go in line with the downpipe, so that the plate can bend up but not press on the downpipe?

Last edited:

5acc0rd4

Reaction score
Nice. From that same picture it doesn't look like there's even a reason to have that hole if nothing goes down into it, the pipe looks like it could be above it?

That's just the mock-up though, here it is mounted:

fepemo.jpg

I see no need to even have that hole there..

I have those same jackstands :lawl:

Or is that hole there so that if something hits the plate and doesn't go in line with the downpipe, so that the plate can bend up but not press on the downpipe?

In reference to that last part: you are correct. I didn't want to risk something hitting the plate and it putting a lot of upward force on the downpipe. The plate is lower than the curve in the downpipe, but only the bottom side of the plate. In other words, if I hadn't cut the hole, it would have been making contact with the curve in the downpipe on the top side of the plate. And as Charlie said, I haven't cut a hole for the oil drain bolt yet.

So you wanna build me one? How much?

I can dude when I get a free weekend...And I have to make a call whenever we decide to do it to see how much the material would be...

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I'm thinking a diamond plate skid plate would look a little nicer. :lawl:

Like anyone is really looking under there.

Good thinking though, with the hole.

I think interest will pick up once people see the final product.

Back